Early SA Collar Tab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early SA Collar Tab

Interesting early tab - It's from either early 1933 Osterreich, or late 1934 Kurpfalz. The steel-green tab has an extra sheet of yellow wool underneath the green, but it's only on the front. That gives it a "puffy" appearance. The piping is very unusual - It's made up of off-white strands of celleon, light grey strands of celleon, and a single strand of silver metallic wire that has oxidized, so it's actually faux-metallic piping. The glue on back is from an album. The added bullion leaf veins are an interesting touch. Early SA RULES!!
    Attached Files

Early Tab

The piping......
    Attached Files

Comment

Tab

BTW, this collar tab appeared in Fuller's SA book, in the first part of the book under "Early SA Insignia". It was classified as a "Sachsen" tab, but the green is much too dark, IMO. The construction is certainly crude by later, more standardized bullion tabs, but therein lies it's charm, IMO. And the non-standard piping certainly adds a twist - get it?

Comment

Not to mention the recent increased interest in Sa tabs has put early examples such as this one through the roof in pricing.
        Years ago few collected SA collar tabs, or party stuff ,but now even single tabs sell , and surprise me occasionally at what they bring.

So did someone die that put this tab in the book , or possibly changed their interest in TR .... I suspect you must have known who owned it ,and told them if they ever wanted to sell it you would like first shot at it.
        If so did they ever mention who they originally scored it from first hand ? (a vet with an album?)
        Very nice to see how things were made before things became standard.

Comment

That is a wonderful collar tab from the early era where the SA was leading a change that woukd affect the entire world. There is a special charm in these early insignae.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Early Tab

I don't know how it made it to the market. I recently got it from Ruptured Duck, but I don't know how long it was there. It was about $150. I saw it and passed over it until I finally came to my senses. That other wine-red Standartenfuhrer tab with the thick piping I recently posted, came from Weitze's, and it was fairly pricey, but still a bargain compared to SS tabs, and probably much rarer. Weitze's IS expensive, but their service is unequaled. Pay with Paypal, and it goes from good ol' Deutschland to California next day. Best Regards.

Comment

Nice tab. Just curious but what is the difference in green here as opposed to the green used for SA Gruppe Nordsee?

Comment

A pair of circa 1931/32 tabs from an early brown shirt before the wear of a shoulder board. These date to the time before SA Gruppen and were designated Gausturme
                Attached Files

Comment

Colors

ETN - They're the same ("steel-green"). Except Nordsee wore gold buttons and pips. Kurpfalz also wore "steel-green", but there was a short time earlier that Kurpfalz wore pink tabs. Confused yet?
                  Mr. Coleman - thanks for posting - and thanks for advice on that Ostland Standartenfuhrer tab - much appreciated!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X