Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

19th SS soup tureen : need ID

Hi guys,

I don't really know where I can post this so I figured "Political organizations" forum would the best.

I bought this tureen to a Civil War militaria collector who had no idea what it was.

This a Krupp manufactered tureen engraved "19-SS FRW. DIV" (the Lettonian SS Division). On the other side is a svatika.

Can you tell me a little more about it ?
    Who had that kind of stuff ? Division CO ?
    Do you have an idea of the value ?

Thanks !

- Aury

The division is the 19th Waffen Grenadier Division of the SS (2nd Latvian). It was an infantry division thats ultimate fate was being surrounded by the Russians in the Courland pocket towards the end of the war.

Comment

Originally posted by Aury View Post

I bought this tureen to a Civil War militaria collector who had no idea what it was.

Can you tell me a little more about it ?
      Who had that kind of stuff ? Division CO ?
      Do you have an idea of the value ?

- Aury
      Hello Aury

i wonder how can someone not know what it is?!..a gravy boat (Hotel Silver so to say)with a large funny looking swastika and some SS Runes engraved
      not looking good to me with that fresh looking swastika..probably glued on it..and the polished part where the engraving is showing on the other side. some clear makro photos from the engraving could help...maybe

Comment

Hello Andreas,

When I said he didn't know, I meant he knew it was SS tureen, but not what it worthed. The guy ran a Civil War Museum and this was donated by a vet. I found it in the middle of WWII memorabilias. As not interested by that, he sold it to me for nothing.

The SS engravings was cleaned up so it can show up. The same for the svatika. The rest of the tureen was cleaned too, but whoever did that insisted on the engraving and the svatika so it shows up. I would have done the same for diplay.

Comment

The svatika may look knew because it was not made from the same material. This is not silver for sure.

Comment

A "tureen" is a large covered dish usually used for serving soup. The item you show is a gravy boat used to pour gravy on meat or potatos.
            I suspect you have some kind of fantasy piece there.
            Jim

Comment

Thanks for posting Jim.
              My definition is probably wrong then. This is something to serve sauce, but I didn't know the proper word in English.
              What would be your thoughts about the authenticity ?

Comment

I believe you missed that he says: it is NOT original. this is a quadruple plate type or its equivalent, and the stylized swas looks to me to be made of a different material...I'm leaning towards the original assessment that this is likely a fantasy item someone found and dressed up to just to sell to a "mark".This is obviously why he sold this for nothing...its only good for thanksgiving dinner time to pour gravy on your other turkey. The engraving is also very poorly executed IMO. both of my observations were already reiterated previously. It will make an interesting dinner conversation when you use it next thanksgiving, but maybe you do not celebrate thanksgiving... I cook mine in beer, and it makes a great green gravy as I lay the turkey on a big bed of cilantro and parsley (50/50)and use a paper bag that has olive oil infused to put over it like a tent in the roaster pan with the top, and then it doesn't need basted or the oven doesn't need opened either...cuts off about an hour or two of cooking time ....and a quart of miller is the best type and amount for most turkeys, and be sure to put a drip pan under it so if the turkeys juice fills the pan and runs over...you won't smoke up the house...although I sense your house will already be smokey anyway... Happy thanksgiving early. If anyone wants more info on how its done MY WAY let me know. You'll never have a dry turkey like mom used to make again...(my apologies to all the mothers out there) theres more I do that others dont after, so all you have to do is ask...as i have a secret to how i make turkey pies with whats left over...(you all have permission to drool now .)
                Last edited by juoneen; 08-25-2014, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting and the cooking lesson Juoneen.

Hopefully I paid nothing for it.

- Aury

Comment

Hi,

poor tureen that has been post-war violated.

See You

Vince

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X