Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

desk eagle

hello,

I would like your opinion on this eagle.

thank you !

regards
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

It looks good to me. Probably from a trophy and was broken off at the base.

Mil

Comment

I am not convinced as of yet - can you post detailed shots of head and claws, please?

Comment

Not a familiar piece to me. The wreath appears to be entirely of laurel leaves, as one sees on the left side of the wreath on a Luftwaffe Pilot/Observer's Badge. Oak leaf wreaths are the usual...

Br. James

Comment

On second thoughts, the swastika seems to be thicker than I feel it should ideally be? Is it just me?

Mil

Comment

Hi steiner68,

Here is an original desk eagle of this style made by 'HB' to compare with,

Best Regards,
              Michael
              Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

So what was the symbolism of the laurel leaves intended to express?

Br. James

Comment

Michael,

Thank you for posting your outstanding original - great quality and no doubt the piece that started this thread is a copy.

I remember not too long ago there was another awesome desk eagle (identical piece maybe?) for sale on E-stand and whoever was fast enough to grab it made the deal of his life!

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      So what was the symbolism of the laurel leaves intended to express?

Br. James
                      From Wikipedia:

" in Rome they were symbols of martial victory, crowning a successful commander during his triumph."

Comment

Thanks, Waffe,

I do realize that laurel leaves symbolized military victory and that the Caesars wore them as a cornet...but that was ancient Roman symbolism, and even Il Duce didn't pick up on that symbol for himself. My interest is in what the Third Reich / NSDAP might have been getting at with this piece, given that all of the many other eagle/swaz styles used only oak leaves. As I understand it, the oak leaf within the German historical context indicated strength and victory.

Br. James

Comment

Hmm.. I wouldn´t say that all the Third Reich wreaths do only bear oak leaves really and I bet that we can find reliefs or things like sketches on postcards - especially everything to honour the fallen and memorabilia do show laurel leaves.

Just look at the CB and the GPB - they do not show oak leaves for sure.

Comment

I noticed the use of laurel leaves on the Hindenburg Cross (1933). Seems contrary to the Roman origin, since WWI was not a "victory".

Regards,
                            Kent G.

Comment

Here are oak and laurel together (Imperial era postcard)

Regards,
                              Kent G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X