Reichswerke Herman Goring Fork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found at a swap meet about 14 years ago. First I had seen. Research found that many industries in occupied countries were taken over and named Herman Goring Reichswerke with him as president. I am not sure if all that is totally correct but I think I have the essence correct. d-p
    Attached Files

A few more photos
    Attached Files

Comment

A nice piece of history, Daniel, and your overview of Reichswerke Hermann Göring is neatly stated -- Wikipedia adds much more detail, but you've captured the essence. Presumably this piece is from one of the dining halls at one of the factories; it's made by the noted firm of August Wellner's Sons and is silver-plated, so it was probably part of a place-setting provided at a higher-level eatery.

Br. James

Comment

Mr. James, thank you for your very kind response to my posting! d_t

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          Presumably this piece is from one of the dining halls at one of the factories; it's made by the noted firm of August Wellner's Sons and is silver-plated, so it was probably part of a place-setting provided at a higher-level eatery.
          Spot on!

Comment

The history sounds correct - keep in mind though that AH silverware collectors probably outnumber HG silverware collectors 10 to 1. So if you accumulate a collection of these pieces they will be a tough sell. I know this from personal experience. Only AH has the big mojo.

Comment

I found a number of "Reichswerke Herman Goring" serving pieces about 20 of years ago; all were "Wellner" maker marked and appeard to be silver plate over copper. The vet's family thought that he removed them from some sort of hunting lodge or other out-of-the-way recreational building.

The vet's family insisted that these were part of a personal service for Herman Goring and, thus, worth lots of money. I'm really a weapons guy so my level of interest was low to begin with; once the vet's family latched onto the concept that these were personal property of H.G., I abandoned the deal and moved on to other projects.

Comment

Hi Alan,

Yes, some vets' families and even an occasional vet himself will get the idea into their head that any war relic or souvenir is of huge value...sadly. You're right to walk away from that family who had convinced themselves that these Reichswerke HG implements were part of Göring's personal property -- as we know now, Göring lent his name and his leadership to that organization, as with so many others, but he didn't own it himself.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X