Early 2 Liter Beer Stein with Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early 2 Liter Beer Stein with Eagle

Just got this today at a garage sale for $175. I would like to know the authenticity of this piece and what time period it was made. The dimensions are 12 inches tall, 3.5 inches wide at the top, and 5.5 inches wide at the bottom.

Hi Panzer,

Welcome among us! Knowing close to nothing about stein-collecting, I trust that some of our more knowledgeable colleagues here will give expertise on your new piece. I would just add that the eagle design on the bottom puts me off a bit. That design originated with the "Völkischer Beobachter" in the mid-1920s, as part of the newspaper's masthead, though the swaz in the original design stood flat on one arm and not on point as this one does.

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

My opinion is that it's a nice beer stein but with the bottom being stencil-ed post-war to increase its saleability.
      Looking at the design of the symbol, it looks modern.

Mil

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
        My opinion is that it's a nice beer stein but with the bottom being stencil-ed post-war to increase its saleability.
        Looking at the design of the symbol, it looks modern.

Mil
        Agree, 100%. It looks like a cheap tourist piece.

Comment

Not good

Comment

Originally posted by Military View Post
            Looking at the design of the symbol, it looks modern.l
            That is exactly what it is.

Comment

Thank you guys so much, I went back and got a full refund! This just reminds me to stick with what I know....

Comment

Once you see, and more importently handle, period steins a pretender like the one pictured won't be an identification problem.
                Jim

Comment

Original old german Bierkrug with fantasy stamp on bottom.
                  worth about 10-25eur

Comment

Good for you, Panzer; glad you were able to get a full refund!

I also very much like the quote at the bottom of your notes from the Ace of all Aces: "Of all my accomplishments I may have achieved during the war, I am proudest of the fact that I never lost a wingman. - Colonel Erich Hartmann"

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X