Straight sawastka armband

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight sawastka armband

Thoughts on this early straight, not tilted sawastka. Looking on some reference on them.

Thank you
    Bob
    Attached Files

Hi Bob,

Brassards of this design were common during the Kämpfzeit, prior to the standardization to the canted swastika that took place in the late 1920s. The same is true for flags. The visibility of the edging threads is a concern for me, though perhaps the threads might not have been made from color-fast dyes. The body of the piece does have strong colors, which focuses on the thread concern...IMO.

Br. James

Comment

Thank you James.

It is being sold as guaranteed original. So there is a "no question" return policy if not happy.

I'll have a better feel for it once it is in my hands.

Thanks again

Bob

Comment

Hi Bob,

The term "guaranteed original" is a fascinating one, isn't it?! In the present case, the only way this armband's originality could be in any way "guaranteed" is for the seller to provide written and notarized provenance as to its previous ownership and history. A similar term is "lifetime guarantee" -- but the "lifetime" is that of the seller, NOT of the purchaser! We see these and similar terms daily, but in the end, we as collectors can only draw upon our own knowledge and experience as a foundation...though a written guarantee certainly enhances an artifact's attraction!

This is definitely not meant to dissuade you from purchasing this brassard and I wish you well with it. I guess I've been burned so many times in my 50+ years in this hobby that I tend to look beyond such "guarantees." On occasion I have revisited a piece in one of my collections that I bought decades ago and, seeing it with the eyes of increased experience over those years, I found the piece to be less than I had originally thought it was...only to discover that the dealer I bought it from had long disappeared from the scene! The old saying is: "Let the buyer beware!"

Cheers to you, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Armband

I have the same concerns as Mr. James. You're between a rock and a hard place on this one - as early pieces were not yet standardized. I LOVE early SA items, but personally, I'd pass unless there is a return policy. Having a unique, and desirable early brassard is of little use if it's something you always have nagging doubts about. It may very well be real, but don't let it's "scarcity" sway your judgement because you WANT it to be real. You may be better off if you invest in an item with less doubt. But don't let me sway you .

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X