Cleaning Silverware, your thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Silverware, your thoughts?

I have a piece of AH flatware being the "Runic pattern" as shown in Yanne's book. It is marked with the 800 hallmark, I bought it actually from Brent last year and the other day I took it out of where I was storing it and it has developed some black marks which I assume are tarnish?

I was wondering what would be the best way to clean it without ruining the value.

Thanks!

Tarnish can be cleaned with any high quality silver polish and since the silverware is is silver and not plated it will not hurt it. Comes down to personal preference on whether to clean silver or not.

Comment

Thanks Erich! Trying to make up my mind

Comment

Originally posted by Knight_ridergta View Post
        Thanks Erich! Trying to make up my mind
        Even if you clean it will tarnish again so no worry either way.

Comment

That's true!

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
          Even if you clean it will tarnish again so no worry either way.

Comment

BUT,,,, to leave Sterling is fine.. 800 is low. Has tin and other junk in it that can in time actually corrode a piece. I admit its extreme but can happen.

Best , Search out one of the many Silver Forums and ask their expert advice [there are some really sharp guys usually on those forums]. .

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by Gaspare View Post
              BUT,,,, to leave Sterling is fine.. 800 is low. Has tin and other junk in it that can in time actually corrode a piece. I admit its extreme but can happen.

Best , Search out one of the many Silver Forums and ask their expert advice [there are some really sharp guys usually on those forums]. .

Comment

I agree with Erich...and Gaspare's advice to check out the experts on Silver Forums sounds prudent, as well. I store my pieces in individual Ziploc bags in order to avoid unnecessary exposure to air circulation, which is the stimulator of tarnish. But as Erich also noted, tarnish...like death and taxes...is an inevitability with silver. The good thing is that solid pieces can withstand the wear of time, while with silver-plate, not so much.

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X