Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red Cross 3rd model, Pinback cross - Question

Hello my fellow collectors.

I have a few questions if anyone can help me with because I might be able to buy one soon direct from family throw antique shop.

It´s a red cross 3rd model badge, Merit cross with pinback. It´s in case in good condition. There is a award document with it but I have not seen it yet, only the medal with the case.
    The owner is known but I have no clue what the price for these go for these days

In Detlev Niemann price guide from 2009-2010, the medal is priced like this:
    - German Red Cross Honor Badge 3rd Model, Merit cross, pinback cross = 850€
    - Case = 250€
    - Document = 200€
    Total 1100€ (without document)
    Total 1300€ (with document)

I also saw this cross with case at emedal for 1390€
    http://www.emedals.com/collectors-ga...t-cross-g10216
    I don´t know when emedals sold it but it looks like the price is going a little bit up.

So here is my questions:
    1.How much do you guys think I have to pay for that cross today if recipient is known?

2. Is the price going up? (Because the shop gave me a price that I think is a bit high and I´m wondering if I am paying too much for the cross & case)

3. How rare is this cross today? (I don´t see it often for sale)

I know some collectors don´t like to talk about the value of items here but it is important for me. Because I´m a low budget collector and every € counts in my case.

Thanks in advance, Hlynur.

Here is this cross from emedals that was sold for 1390€
    Attached Files

I can't remember if the one sold by emedals had the Godet mm on the pin but I do remember that it had a twisted pin and the reverse was pitted - possibly through poor storage.

IMO a cased cross in good condition is worth around €1300. I know that crosses without cases sell for €850.

I once saw a lovely cased cross with inscription on the back sell for €2500 but that was probably overpriced as values of these have not really increased lately.

Stan

Comment

Thank you for your comment Stan.

I have been offered that type of cross with case. It was awarded to a known recipient, with a scan of an award document with his name on. I don´t know what officer signed it.

This recipient was a ambassador outside Germany. This ambassador fell out of favor with NSDAP and was deprived his official status and was thrown to the front line on eastern front. He manage to survive the war.
      The Cross and the case was never worn, It was just thrown to storage box with document. It is in top condition, never been used and have been with family ever since.
      The family wants to hold the original document but there is no problem getting a copy of that. The cross is for sale now on local antique shop. I´m going there tomorrow to take a look at it.

The price is 1900€. I guess it´s way to much?

The dealer is pricing this cross on what he saw a same cross on e-medals, by the know recipient, good condition and how much it cost to import these kind of awards to Iceland. (25,5% tax and 10% custom fee).

what do you guys think? Second opinion would be helpful. (I´m not a big collector and If I go for it, it would be my biggest item in collection. But the price is keeping me in distance.)

Sorry for my not so good English
      Regards Hlynur

Comment

Hi Hylnur,

At that price I would only go for one which was Godet marked on the pin.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
          Hi Hylnur,

At that price I would only go for one which was Godet marked on the pin.

Stan
          Hi Stan.
          It´s unmarked and was awarded in 1939 (before the Prasidialkanzlei numbers).
          I don´t have pictures of the cross it self yet but I have the copy of document.
          I was wrong, he was not a ambassador. He was a Konsul for Germany here in Iceland. I also can´t make out who's signature is on this document.

His name is Dr. Phil Gunter Timmermann. If anyone have some information on that guy will be appreciated.
          I know that he fell out of favor with NSDAP and was sent to front lines in Russia. His job was weather reports or forecast from frontline.
          The russians capture him and he spent some time in prison camps.

Here is copy of document and I will hopefully have pictures of cross later.

Attached Files

Comment

Günter Adolf Friedrich Timmermann

http://darwin.biology.utah.edu/PubsH...eidner1983.pdf

Comment

Here is picture of this cross.
              Attached Files

Comment

Beautiful cased cross. Just a bit on the expensive side.

Stan

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  Beautiful cased cross. Just a bit on the expensive side.

Stan
                  That is the reason why I have not bought it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X