Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH Desk bust. Unknown maker

Hi Guys,
    It's a faint hope - but here goes: I brought this a few years ago in Paris from an antiques 'mall' near the Louvre. There are no stampings or markings on it whatsoever. I know nothing about this collectible field (which probably made the Parisian Dealer very happy...).

Does anyone have any information or input about its provenance? Seen one like it before?

It's very heavy - solid bronze or brass. The 'bald spot' on the back of the head indicates it's certainly not a one off or 'art' piece. Beyond that - I haven't a clue.
    Cheers
    Ted
    Attached Files

Another pic...
    Attached Files

Comment

Another pic.....
      Attached Files

Comment

Final pic...
        Attached Files

Comment

I'd say without any markings, it would be probably hard to track its authenticity to pre 45 era. I would try to do some internet research to see if anyone has published anything on it. I would assume period items would have some sort of sculptor signature or gallery marking.

Comment

Either way, it's a nice piece

Comment

Originally posted by cjclick View Post
              I'd say without any markings, it would be probably hard to track its authenticity to pre 45 era. I would try to do some internet research to see if anyone has published anything on it. I would assume period items would have some sort of sculptor signature or gallery marking.
              Yes, that's what leads me in the direction of a mass produced 'official' production piece for Govt Depts, buildings etc. it's certainly not well made enough to be a presentation piece or 'art' piece. The lack of markings is a real pain..

Comment

Now that I think about it, it does have the style of marble base that was used during the period. I volunteer at the 45ID museum in OKC. They have a small sculpture on display, of Hindenburg. I believe the base you have is identical to the base they have in display.

Comment

I'll be back there on Tuesday. I can take a pic and post it of you'd like. The particular Hindenburg statue, was taken directly from Hitler's desk.

Comment

Originally posted by cjclick View Post
                    I'll be back there on Tuesday. I can take a pic and post it of you'd like. The particular Hindenburg statue, was taken directly from Hitler's desk.
                    Cool! Thank you. I'd be interested to see the pics.

Comment

Sorry for the wait. Here she is...

Comment

Re the Hitler bust--I have doubts about that one. The casting appears poorly done with bubbles in the metal. The crude grinding of the mold seams and lack of detail in the area at the the back of the head are also not what I would expect from a period bronze. The mounting post is unusual also.
                        Erich
                        Festina lente!

Comment

On side note Kiwi, I would love to see more pics of that stuff in the background!

Comment

hope it"s original ,but if not ..i like the eyes c...lot"s of "originals'..don"t have much detail ..if you got it cheap ...keep it ....EC

Comment

Check this link out Kiwi. Scroll to bottom of page for 2 references.

http://www.germanwarbooty.com/other.htm

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X