Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with 1932-1933 SA buckle and loop belts

Hello

I would like to complete a bust of an SA from 1932-1933 and I need a nice buckle and 2 belt loops for attaching a shoulder strap.
    What is the buckle I should get ? The one with straight swastika or the round one ?

Other thing :
    Is there a book about the SA subject in preparation ?

Thanks a lot

Buckle

There is no correct type of swastika - both round and angled types would be entirely appropriate. Some buckles also have a silver-colored insignia rondel. Some people theorize that the buckles with silver rondels were intended for use by SA Gruppes that wore silver buttons & insignia. Perhaps others can clarify if that's correct. IMO, almost any SA buckle would be ok. Check this forum E-stand. Also, Collector's Guild in Canada ALWAYS has a big selection of those buckles for sale. Check their site. So let's see the shirt!!

Comment

Thank you !

So there's no really specific model ? It's not really possible to do an history of the SA buckles ?

Comment

All SA "M-29 eagle" type belt buckle variations (3 major variations- "Sunwheel Swastika/Horizontal swastika/and standing on it's point/45 angle swastika") in all materials variations were worn at the same time.... though the horizontal swastika is probably the earliest and scarest variant IMO.
        The history has been done... there are numerous referances on buckles....
        John G.

This same buckle was also worn by A-SS, early NSDAP, NSKK, & other political organizations prior to the adoption of thier own unique buckles...

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemilitaria View Post
          All SA "M-29 eagle" type belt buckle variations (3 major variations- "Sunwheel Swastika/Horizontal swastika/and standing on it's point/45 angle swastika") in all materials variations were worn at the same time.... though the horizontal swastika is probably the earliest and scarest variant IMO.
          The history has been done... there are numerous referances on buckles....
          John G.

This same buckle was also worn by A-SS, early NSDAP, NSKK, & other political organizations prior to the adoption of thier own unique buckles...
          Thanks for your answer.

May I ask you if you have some pictures for showing those differences ?

I would like to buy a recent book with great detailed pictures on all the SA subject (I mean a book released after 2000 at least) but it seems there is nothing for now.

Comment

Hi Blaise,

I to am frustrated on the lack of recently published books of the SA.
            Considering the SA had several million members over the Third Reich period, very little has been published for many years about uniform, militaria etc.
            Most published works today seem to focus on armed forces militaria, leaving social and political items in the cold.
            The best sources for information on the SA at the moment seem to be a Bender publication in the 1980's, and period publications produced during the TR period!
            Someone should write a comprehensive book about the SA sooner rather than later.
            Somehow I do not think this will happen, interest in TR items appears to be waning.
            Younger people in the UK think "Stormtroopers" are something from "Star Wars".

Best wishes,

John.

Comment

Today, in hindsight, it seems unthinkable that there might have been more than one design for something as widely-used as the NSDAP/SA/NSKK belt buckle, and that fact must have contributed to the development of the RZM as an over-arching quartermaster organization. As the RZM rose in authority and control through the early 1930s, less and less variation is experienced and standardization as well as individuality of organization logo proliferation became universal. For example, at the same time the variously-designed and normally-unmarked brass belt buckles were being worn by the Political Leadership, the SA and the NSKK, the M-29 cap eagle was used by those very same organizations, as well as others such as the SS. But when the RZM began to exercise serious authority by 1935, each group had its own version of the cap eagle and also its own belt buckle design.

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise View Post
                Hello

I would like to complete a bust of an SA from 1932-1933 and I need a nice buckle and 2 belt loops for attaching a shoulder strap.
                What is the buckle I should get ? The one with straight swastika or the round one ?

Other thing :
                Is there a book about the SA subject in preparation ?

Thanks a lot

Jill Halcombes book "The SA an historical perspective" is a great book. Out of print now I think but probably obtainable through a book search. I`ve had my copy about 20 years.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                  Today, in hindsight, it seems unthinkable that there might have been more than one design for something as widely-used as the NSDAP/SA/NSKK belt buckle, and that fact must have contributed to the development of the RZM as an over-arching quartermaster organization. As the RZM rose in authority and control through the early 1930s, less and less variation is experienced and standardization as well as individuality of organization logo proliferation became universal. For example, at the same time the variously-designed and normally-unmarked brass belt buckles were being worn by the Political Leadership, the SA and the NSKK, the M-29 cap eagle was used by those very same organizations, as well as others such as the SS. But when the RZM began to exercise serious authority by 1935, each group had its own version of the cap eagle and also its own belt buckle design.

Br. James
                  That's indeed a simple good point which clarify my mind a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Coburg View Post
                    Jill Halcombes book "The SA an historical perspective" is a great book. Out of print now I think but probably obtainable through a book search. I`ve had my copy about 20 years.

Jim
                    I saw in the past that book. But, even if that's maybe a good book, I think it's sad that there's no recent decent book with detailed pictures in color...

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X