Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nazi Desk Eagle - Fake?

Hi Guys,

I've seen several of these Nazi desk eagles for sale over the last few months. They look impressive but I assume they are widely faked (including the one shown? Swastika looks a bit thin to me). Am I right?

Many thanks for looking and for any comments and have a great Christmas!

All the best,

Guy
    Attached Files

Hi Guy,

Yes, I agree that the swaz and wreath on this piece do look a bit small and thin, in proportion to the bird above...but art is always in the eye of the beholder! There seems to be an inscription on the crosspiece below the wreath, but I can't make it out; that might be helpful to know. Is there an artist's name or initials present, perhaps a foundry mark? The style of the base is reminiscent of the Mahnmal in the Feldherrnhalle in Munich; that may be intentional, as is the entire piece in it's own way -- though much more vertical as opposed to the three-dimensional bird atop the memorial plaque in the FHH. Just some thoughts.

Fröhliche Weihnachten,

Br. James

Comment

Looks like the inscription says "Deutschland." This is not one I would want.

Comment

I agree with everything already stated. I have seen this very same type before and they have "Always" been proven to be fakes. Tom

Comment

Its a Frankenstein piece and totally wrong.

Comment

Well, if it is a 'Frankenstein,' at least it seems to be well-executed. It would probably make a nice decorator piece on a library shelf in a collector's office...if the price was low enough!

Cheers,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              Well, if it is a 'Frankenstein,' at least it seems to be well-executed. It would probably make a nice decorator piece on a library shelf in a collector's office...if the price was low enough!

Cheers,

Br. James
              It is a Frankenstein for sure, but yes at the right number (low) it makes a nice decorator piece for a budget play. Not real money. ;o)

Comment

Thanks for the comments Guys, this is in a UK auction estimated at £300-350. But I have seen about six of these come up for auction in the UK over the last 6 months or so. Must be a production line somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by ancientrelicsuk View Post
                  Thanks for the comments Guys, this is in a UK auction estimated at £300-350. But I have seen about six of these come up for auction in the UK over the last 6 months or so. Must be a production line somewhere.
                  I think were looking at the same piece over and over again, but now its had a patina applied. The base is for another piece which is rare and you will never find the top for it and the bird was re-nazified and not even sure its real but that will make it the same piece as shown before.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X