Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Der Deutsche Hof" Silverware

Hi Folks:

Years ago I purchased this silver sugar cube tong from Berchtesgarten and I was told that it came from the hotel in Nurenburg "Der Deutsche Hof" which Hitler used when he stayed there and was later taken over by the US Army and used as a military hotel since it was right across the street from the HauptBahnHof. When I research the hotel...I see two (2) names for this hotel:

"DER DEUTSCHE HOF" and "DER DEUTSCHER HOF"...with the "R"

The silver sugar cube tong is Hallmarked "GEBR. HEPP 90"

I had to purchase it since I stayed in this hotel on numeorus occassions from 1980-90 when I worked & lived in Germany.

I would appreciate any assistance/comments. Thanks,
    Attached Files

Last picture
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi,

there was and is no "DER DEUTSCHER HOF".
      There is no such text on silverware, and there is no Hotel with such a name.

Possible are "DEUTSCHER HOF" or "HOTEL DEUTSCHER HOF" or "DER DEUTSCHE HOF".
      And if there is a Gasthof (guesthouse) with the name "DEUTSCHER HOF", it could be - der "DEUTSCHER HOF" -, but then it is meant as - der (Gasthof) "DEUTSCHER HOF".

Uwe

Comment

So....this is a correct/good piece from the hotel in Nuernburg...right?

Comment

Don't want to break in your thread but I have one exactly the same.Got it in the early nineties.

Etienne
          Attached Files

Comment

I'm not liking the font or engraving on those. Are you suggesting they are pre 45 ? Or more plausible post 45 ?

Comment

As there is no "forbidden" symbol and as this hotel stayed in business long after the war's end, this could have been produced at any time.
              Richard

Comment

WOW...that is OK. You having the same...I'm sure that there were more that one sugar dispenser/bowl in the hotel.

As far as the "FONT".....being different....big deal.

We aren't talking a great deal of $$$$$$$....unless I want to sell this for $$$$$$$$ with some big war story that a 101st ABN Vet parachuted into Hitler's room and fought off 100 SS troops and liberated this sugar cub tong....after jumping off the balcony (smile) into Hilter's car and driving down the Autobahn meeting up with Gen. Patton.

As stated below...the hotel was still utilized after the war by USAREUR (US Army Europe) so these could be post-war pieces...which leads to the comment..no "forbidden" symbols.

When I visited Nurenburg in 2003/4...I went to the hotel and it was locked up and curtains pulled.

I bought the piece because I stayed at the hotel and I got the t-shirt.

P.S. Mine looks prettier than your's Etienne!! ;-) Merry Christmas

Comment

According to Wikipedia, the Hotel Der Deutsche Hof originally opened for business prior to WWI, and this was certainly before members of the NSDAP were regular guests there, attending Party congresses and rallies in Nuremberg. Hotels undoubtedly buy quantities of tableware regularly, with each piece bearing the hotel's name; such reorders are made to replace pieces that get stolen, broken or lost due to regular wear. And the style of lettering on each piece is as variable as the names of the cutlery firms that produced such pieces. So, IMHO, a piece of tableware marked "Der Deutsche Hof" could have been made years prior to the Nazi time, during that time-period, or after the end of the war (if the hotel continued to remain in business). While it has certain attraction within our hobby, there is no reason to believe that a piece of tableware so marked was ever in the presence of anyone connected with the NSDAP or any of its organizations.

Here's a vignette from my own collection. I own ten small silver-plated cream pitchers made for the Café Vaterland, Aachen. Each pitcher bears several common marks on the bottom, including Café Vaterland, Aachen, Bohrmann (the maker), and 2 ctl. or 2 cl. (indicating the pitcher's capacity at 2 centiliters). In addition, six pitchers indicate 27 -- the year of manufacture -- and four show 1939; there are what appear to be individual craftsman's initials (H, Q or a triple-diamond logo); and five of those made in 1927 display a further diamond logo with the initials B. R. B. 40 within. I obtained this set of cream pitchers from the GI who "liberated" them from that restaurant during his time in Aachen during WWII, as well as a number of other Nazi-era pieces including coinage and paper currency.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X