Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hitler Coin?

hi,

picked up this recently. not in the best condition - appears to have some old glue on the back.

just wondered if anyone had an opinion on it.

cheers, del.
    Attached Files

The coin/medal was given at Lünen in the context of the 600th anniversary of the local shooting club.

I could not find exactly your medal but I found another one from another shooting club jubilee/anniversary from Hattingen with the same front side

https://www.numisbids.com/sales/host...thumb02465.jpg

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/L%C3%BCnen

Gerdan

Comment

thanks Gerdan.

would it be worthwhile trying to remove the old glue or just leave it as is?

cheers, del.
      Last edited by glock26; 12-12-2013, 03:34 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Sometimes petrol lighter fuel will remove old glue/adhesive - - tho it maybe best to leave it alone.

Comment

I collected coins for a number of years, and pure acetone (not nail polish remover) was always highly recommended for removing 'gunk.' Coins treated in this way were not devalued and their patina and toning were left intact unless it was overdone. In fact, it's usually considered good practice to do this in the case of thick deposits, as the area of the coin/medal under the gunk can become severely damaged if left as-is. The procedure is called 'dipping' and is pretty straightforward, but it's probably a good idea to find out exactly how to do it on a good numismatic website. I can't personally vouch for dipping because I've never done it, but I know a lot of very well-respected coin collectors that advocate it.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
          X