• Time
  • Show
Clear All

sa tunic for review

thank all

Comment

Comment

Comment

Looks like a nice Traditions Brown Shirt, stripped to within an inch of its life! No tabs, brassard, piping (if ever present), metal belt ramps or even cuff buttons. Not much more to say about it than that...!

Br. James

Comment

Agree! If an SA member was preparing the brownshirt for laundering, it would look like this (although if present, the collar piping would not need to be removed) minus the metal buttons.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Shirt

No belt hooks - maybe removed. But usually they're sewn in. Any marks where a right-side shoulderboard used to be? NOW!.......look all around the collar edges to see if there are any tiny remnants of threads where collar-piping used to be. That would give you a good indication if the shirt was ever worn, and not just a blank shirt that someone sewed collar tabs on, maybe post war. ALSO.....look around the edges where the collar tabs would have been (both front and back of collar), also for tiny old thread fragments. That would be another indication of previous tabs being on there. IF you find that, that would mean the now existing white thread COULD be fake, but then again, 2 different threads could be found on an original shirt. FINAL NOTE: Unlike what the regulations suggest about removing collar tabs from brownshirts before laundering, I find it hard to believe that was done that often. Dunking a brownshirt in a barrel of COLD water with a small amount of soap wouldn't harm the shirt one bit, other than that the tabs will stiffen and wrinkle somewhat. IMO, that is.

Comment

I would tend to disagree--the tabs are usually only tacked on with a 'quick release' loop or thread--it would take less than a minute to remove both from the collar. And when you see the result when shirts were laundered with the tabs left in place, I think the minute to remove them would be worthwhile. In those days, everyone knew someone who could sew (if they themselves couldn't), so I don't think it was that big of a deal. Also, if the shirt was pressed after laundering, the stiffener in the buckram would melt into the fabric of the collar, where it would be next to impossible to remove. Surely some SA members did launder the shirts without removing the sewn insignia, human nature being what it is. I'm sure they'd remove the buttons, though, and the belt hooks if, as on this example, they were made to be removable.
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

Why a SS tunic looks plain Original stripped SA to me..

Comment

thanks all for opinions I thought stripping the uniform before washing was a joke at first. ive never really thought about it to now but makes sense. thanks again

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                    X