Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is this plaque a good one?

hello fellow members,

would any of the members on here be so kind and help me out in letting me know if this is a repro or an original pre- 1945 SA plaque?

many thanks in advance,

Belinda....
    Attached Files
    sigpic"BATTLES ARE SOMETIMES WON BY GENERALS, BUT WARS ARE NEARLY ALWAYS WON BY SERGEANTS AND PRIVATES"

Original
    Nice one

Comment

Hi Belinda,

While I am not familiar with this particular piece, I notice that it bears the initials of noted artist and designer, Paul Casberg, who designed articles such as pole tops and daggers for the Third Reich. Quite a striking piece!

Br. James

Comment

Ah many thank's to you two for replying to me... x

I must admit that it caught my eye when I saw it ,as it will look nice along side my other SA items... Just got to see if I can do a deal with the bloke now.

kind regards,
        Belinda

sigpic"BATTLES ARE SOMETIMES WON BY GENERALS, BUT WARS ARE NEARLY ALWAYS WON BY SERGEANTS AND PRIVATES"

Comment

Hello,
          This is a plaque for the donation of horses. & according to Angolia in his book "Political and civil awards of the Third Reich" it was instituted on February 1937 & was to be presented to persons who donated horses, stables, parks and other items related to advancing horsemanship. The inscription says "For Service in the Pre-Military training of Young German Riders. I believe it is also referred to as the Hitler Youth plaque for donation of horses,but don't quote me on that LOL.
          Duzig(Bill)

Comment

thank you very much for the info Bill... very interesting to hear and if you are correct about a connection with the HJ then even more the better, as I collect both SA and HJ memorabilia...

Comment

A nice piece!

Comment

May we see the back of the plaque, please? Thanks

Comment

Thank you to all those fellow members who have helped me out here...x

I am so pleased that it is a good one.
                  I have only just gone and bought it last night and so once I receive it, I will take a photo of the back of it for you.. .

kind regards,
                  Belinda

Comment

We look forward to seeing it. All good wishes to you in the New Year, and Happy Collecting!

Br. James

Comment

here you go James... as promised...

Attached Files

Comment

SA plaque

Hate to bring any negative thoughts to the discussion but for whatever its worth: Those original pieces have been cast and as such the only way to tell originals from more recent remakes would be to compare their sizes.
                        I imagine that originals were cast using the original mold while remakes will be cast using one of the original pieces and as such smaller than originals.
                        Here is one source of remakes but other exist: http://www.thirdreichbadges.com/MAIN...oto=1277917808
                        Furthermore if the first one pictured is the second one pictured- it has been repainted. Personally I think were looking at two different plaques here and I am not liking the second one posted.

cheers
                        Matt
                        Last edited by Matthew; 12-13-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
                          Furthermore if the first one pictured is the second one pictured- it has been repainted. Personally I think were looking at two different plaques here and I am not liking the second one posted.

cheers
                          Matt
                          I agree with Matt definitely looks like 2 different plaques ...

Comment

Agreed. Definitely two different plaques. The second has definitely been repainted and has loss of detail.

Mil

Comment

cast of a cast

My money would be on the second one being a cast of a cast if that makes any sense.
                              Paint can obscure some details as it gives the piece additional layer to see those through but it will not create pits and voids on the piece unless it is layered rather thickly.
                              Photo to visualize my point.

cheers
                              Matt
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                              X