Desk Eagle - RZM M3/90 - Opinions Please Before It Goes To Estand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desk Eagle - RZM M3/90 - Opinions Please Before It Goes To Estand

A decorator item I have had for years that I assumed was a reproduction M3/90 desk eagle.

Similar threads on WAF indicate this type eagle is a fake, but the other examples I found posted are more crude, so thought I had better double check before selling.

Thanks for opinions in advance.
    Attached Files
    Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thats a repro

Comment

Hi Jeff,

It's a nice decorator piece that would look fine on a bookshelf...if anyone has any space left on their bookshelves...but I must agree with Jim: this appears to me to be a postwar casting which has lost much of it's original detail.

Br. James

Comment

Thanks Gents, I was about 99% sure it was.

Other than buying a fake unknowingly, selling an original as a fake unknowingly is next painful. Did that few times back in the day based on one "expert" opinion.

Comment

Unfortunately a repro, Jeff - Real ones have crisp detailing especially for the stamping.

Mil

Comment

jeff, i used to see these for sale years ago for $40.00 ...they were made of brass /bronze,and dealer said they were made in texas from original item .....hmmmmm.. EC

Comment

Here is the link to an earlier discussion about the M3/90 eagles showing the cast copies and the original that they were cast from. Unfortunately some of the photos of the other cast copy have now gone but I remember that it was very similar to this one http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...g+eagle&page=2 - as Mil says
                  Mil - Unfortunately a repro, Jeff - Real ones have crisp detailing especially for the stamping
                  Best Regards, Michael
                  Attached Files

Comment

The link to that old thread that Michael pointed out is a great source of pictorial reference.

Good desk eagles are very hard to find now and the prices have skyrocketed in recent years. These are a must for all serious collectors. There's one on Weitze's website showing a "Type B Nuremberg eagle" with "flat Back" and with good amount of silver wash remaining but it is unmarked.

Mil

Comment

Thanks guys, I won't delete these photos, so it'll stay up as a reference.

This one did sell rather quickly at a repro price on the bazaar section of the estand.

Comment

Another desk piece has appeared on Shea's site which I believe has a replaced base. The eagle looks good with some original silver wash still remaining. I wouldn't pay one for this price, though.

Mil

Originally posted by Military View Post
                        The link to that old thread that Michael pointed out is a great source of pictorial reference.

Good desk eagles are very hard to find now and the prices have skyrocketed in recent years. These are a must for all serious collectors. There's one on Weitze's website showing a "Type B Nuremberg eagle" with "flat Back" and with good amount of silver wash remaining but it is unmarked.

Mil

Comment

saw this eagle ..would like to see pics of "green felt padding" ... EC

Comment

[QUOTE][/saw this eagle ..would like to see pics of "green felt padding" ... EC QUOTE]

Underneath should show a single nut and bolt for this type of eagle as opposed to the two bolt mounting on an "HB" eagle. also might have the manufacturers sticker- in this case should be Ziehe & Co, Kassel.

Nice eagle, possibly replaced base as this model was nearly always with dedication plaque but outrageously expensive (IMO)

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X