ZUGADLER today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ZUGADLER today....

THIS is how I like to find 'em, as opposed to a never-used depot example (condition notwithstanding). This surfaced at a local antique shop...Was hacked off of a boxcar I'd presume. There are blade-marks to the edges adjacent to each of the posts, where the saw blade made contact w/ the edge of the bird when being removed. Interestingly, the rear of the eagle is painted with a dark, olive greenish paint, a bit of which has also dried onto the front on the eagles front leg in one spot. Not sure why the rear would've been painted, but it's most definitely period-applied, by all appearances. Considering how tough it is to find these things, I was quite happy to have come across it, and especially like the fact that this one was actually utilized, and later "souvenired" by some G.I. A couple quick snaps below...
    Attached Files

2...Saw-marks on the edges, near each of the posts....
    Attached Files

Comment

Surprisingly (to me, at least), this hasn't really garnered any responses, but I've since learned that the color of the paint on the reverse might have some particular meaning as regards the eagle's application…?? If this is indeed the case, can anyone impart to me what the olive-greenish color of the paint on this Adler might denote? Thx. in advance.

Comment

Probably the color of the railraod car it was attached to.... wouldn't all Reichsbahn rolling stock have been painted feldgrun or Camo.ed- I've seen overpainted eagles (or black painted ones) in the past (front side)....

Don't think is matters that much "on the back".... ?
        John G.

Comment

Hello John. No, in the overall scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter at all, but since it was imparted to me that the color might have some meaning, I thought I'd broach the subject for more specifics.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X