Political Leader Hate Belt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Political Leader Hate Belt

This one was posted some time ago on the Buckles and Belts forum, but since all of the insignia are Political, felt it might be of interest here....

Attached Files
    RonR

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

Attached Files
      RonR

Comment

Attached Files
        RonR

Comment

Attached Files
          RonR

Comment

Attached Files
            RonR

Comment

Attached Files
              RonR

Comment

great

Thats a great belt! Very Cool!!

Comment

Does anybody know why these belts with attached ornaments of sort, are called "Hate Belts."?

Comment

A collection of the defeated enemy insignia. A bit like carrying the skulls of your kills around. Its a silly name really as its a lovely collection.

Comment

cool collars tabs belt

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Symonds View Post
                        Does anybody know why these belts with attached ornaments of sort, are called "Hate Belts."?
                        Is that a US expression? Ive never heard of it

Comment

Fantastic!

I love these things. I have a small collection of WW1 belts, but no WW2. A rare find indeed. Where did you find it?

Cheers,

Jamie

Comment

Notice that the belt itself is a "US Army EMs Garrison belt".....

"Hate Belts" have been around for "ever" (one way or the other)... and are supposed to represent a button or badge from every "hated" enemy "countered in battle"... the earliest I've seen was from the Spanish American War covered with Spanish & Cuban Loyalist buttons and hat badges... durning WW 1 most were made and assembled by invalid French veterans (who also made most trench art) and sold them to "all" the various allies...and tourist touring the battlefields after the war. Many postwar "trading companies" like Bannermans (and others) sold "assembled" Hate belts for veterans...

So most are really "souviner belts"...but "Hate belt" has more "impact"

In WW 2, it wasn't as common...but certainly not unknown. This NSDAP belt is quite special...for obvious reasons...
                            John G.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemilitaria View Post
                              Notice that the belt itself is a "US Army EMs Garrison belt".....

"Hate Belts" have been around for "ever" (one way or the other)... and are supposed to represent a button or badge from every "hated" enemy "countered in battle"... the earliest I've seen was from the Spanish American War covered with Spanish & Cuban Loyalist buttons and hat badges... durning WW 1 most were made and assembled by invalid French veterans (who also made most trench art) and sold them to "all" the various allies...and tourist touring the battlefields after the war. Many postwar "trading companies" like Bannermans (and others) sold "assembled" Hate belts for veterans...

So most are really "souviner belts"...but "Hate belt" has more "impact"

In WW 2, it wasn't as common...but certainly not unknown. This NSDAP belt is quite special...for obvious reasons...
                              John G.

Hi,

I agree 100%
                              There are many WW1 "hate belts" out there and I'm in no doubt most were assembled for sale- I still consider those legit. The souvenir business on the Western Front thrived, both in and behind the front lines. Belts, engraved shells and pens, lighters and tours etc etc

However, some belts can tell the real story of a soldiers time at the front, and they're much rarer. These type are normally heavily used/worn (repaired multiple times on occasion) and probably worn with pride for extended periods during and after the war. I have a few that really can tell a tale- even if the details are lost to time.

They're fun to collect.

Cheers,

Jamie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X