Deutsche Reichsbahn spoon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsche Reichsbahn spoon

Here is a recent pick-up. A large serving spoon from carriage no.207 of the Fuhrerzug!

I think Goering was 205, AH was 206 and 207 was reserved for various VIPs - and whoever was travelling of any rank or importance at that time. But feel free to educate me otherwise as this is the only DR piece I own, and probably will ever own!

Chris
    Attached Files

Last one; markings on reverse.
    Attached Files

Comment

interesting article for a collection of railways and for my collection lol. that a fellow can give us your opinion please ... hehe

Comment

A beautiful piece, Chris! I am the first to admit that I have never delved deeply into the realm of German Railway cutlery from the Third Reich period, but I am aware that the numbering system on the reverse of many tableware pieces tells a story of where each piece was placed, in terms of rail carriages. The fine spoon you show here was made by the well-known cutlery firm of P. Bruckmann & Sons of Heilbronn and is cast of .800 solid silver...and this tells us even more.

In his excellent volume, "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware" (Trafford Publishing, 2013), collector and researcher James A. Yannes dedicates a number of pages to describing the intricacies of DR tableware and how it was marked for use in the special train carriages made for Hitler, Göring and other TR officials. Jim Yannes shares the following, relative to the silver content of such pieces: "There are two types of flatware. The 800 silver and the 90 silver plate. The 800 silver is standard on all of Hitler's dining wagons whereas the 800 silver is only in Göring's 205 personal wagon (1937-40) then his 'Family Wagon' (1940-45). The 90 silver plate is on Hitler's/Dietrich's 251 wagon and all of Göring's dining wagons. 800 silver also on the Minister's Zug dining wagon 213." I commend this book to you and I think you would find much of interest there.

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

I also recommend his book Chris! I am brand new to this area and his book tells a lot!

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
          A beautiful piece, Chris! I am the first to admit that I have never delved deeply into the realm of German Railway cutlery from the Third Reich period, but I am aware that the numbering system on the reverse of many tableware pieces tells a story of where each piece was placed, in terms of rail carriages. The fine spoon you show here was made by the well-known cutlery firm of P. Bruckmann & Sons of Heilbronn and is cast of .800 solid silver...and this tells us even more.

In his excellent volume, "The Encyclopedia of Third Reich Tableware" (Trafford Publishing, 2013), collector and researcher James A. Yannes dedicates a number of pages to describing the intricacies of DR tableware and how it was marked for use in the special train carriages made for Hitler, Göring and other TR officials. Jim Yannes shares the following, relative to the silver content of such pieces: "There are two types of flatware. The 800 silver and the 90 silver plate. The 800 silver is standard on all of Hitler's dining wagons whereas the 800 silver is only in Göring's 205 personal wagon (1937-40) then his 'Family Wagon' (1940-45). The 90 silver plate is on Hitler's/Dietrich's 251 wagon and all of Göring's dining wagons. 800 silver also on the Minister's Zug dining wagon 213." I commend this book to you and I think you would find much of interest there.

Cheers, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

I since bought his book after getting this piece. The spoon came with a whole group of stuff I picked up, which is why it's for sale on the estand.

Alex (above) is interested in buying it and wanted peace of mind, hence bumping my old thread up and asking for opinions.

While I like DR pieces, they're not my focus as you know.

Thanks as ever for contributing your knowledge

Chris

Comment

Deutsche Reichsbahn Spoon

Train car# 10207 was a Salonwagen built in 1937 in Kassel for Propagandaminister Joseph Goebbels....not Hitler's or Goering's.

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweisse View Post
                Train car# 10207 was a Salonwagen built in 1937 in Kassel for Propagandaminister Joseph Goebbels....not Hitler's or Goering's.
                you're absolutely right "Edelweisse". After I do a little research about the number 207, it is true that this spoon, no wagon belonged to Hitler. The 207 wagon was most used by the Minister of spreading and even by other ministers. Even for regular trains. http://www.drg-salonwagen.eu/salonwagen/sal37b.html

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                X