Wooden DAF Plaque.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wooden DAF Plaque.

Picked up recently at a fair from a German vendor, i thought it was quite neat. Pete.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

A slogan from the catholic Benediktinerregel (rule of Benedict) together with a DAF symbol..what is the sense of that?

Comment

Now that raises some interesting questions. In any other regime one could expect religious or other like minded groups to gather together within larger organisations to support each other, but I just can't see a Benedictine prayer group flying in the DAF. Who knows.

Comment

To me -- as a Gregorian Friar -- it makes perfect sense! This plaque combines the best-touted qualities of Christian tradition as expressed in the Rule of Saint Benedict -- Ora et Labora, Latin for 'Pray and Work,' the unification of contemplation and action -- with the high-minded goals of the NSDAP. The motif of this plaque relates specifically to Robert Ley and the DAF, and suggestively with both Richard Walther Darré and his "Blut und Boden" movement among the agrarian population and with Konstantin Hierl and the RAD movement among the youth. What was put forth in this plaque was the political sense that the German people should place their faith in the Party and its high regard for the centrality of work, and to support those movements with all their efforts. In it's way, this is an example of the implementation of Gleichschaltung, the coordination of the German people into the Nazi State.

Just my opinion, of course!

Br. James

Comment

Thank you for the opinions folks, one against one for and a maybe. I myself cannot see anything wrong with the plaque itself, construction, proportions etc, it might have had a repaint but its quite old paint. Brians opinion is indeed an interesting one and id like to thank him for his opinion.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X