Götz von Berlichingen plaque

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Götz von Berlichingen plaque

I don't know if this is the correct place to post this; however, it was the closest place I thought would fit.

I got this in Germany between 1973 and 1976 from a former SS captain that I met, and got a lot of stuff from over the 3 years I was there. He used to get a lot of stuff from his former vet friends for me. I was told it was from one of his friends who was in the Götz von Berlichingen unit; however, I know nothing more about it......except I only saw one other (also owned by another former Waffen-SS vet) and he wouldn't part with it. What can you tell me about it, and, what would it possibly bring if I decided to sell it?

These are old pictures that I took in 2007, I think, and since then I have put a hanger on the back where the round hole was (which I guess he had to put it up on something) because I didn't trust that would not get knocked down without it. I put it on with heavy contact stuff called "amazing goop" or something like that. It could be removed but would be hard.

Thanks,
    Ron

Certianly interesting.....nothing in the plaque itself directly relates to the "SS Div. GvB" (except the personage himself). We all know GvB was a historical character long before the 3rd Reich, and "Commemorative plaques" of him could be from long before WW2, durning the period, durning the occupation or 1970s, or from "today" (obviously, not this one).
    Since you "know the source", certianly you should feel comfortable with it, no matter. To me it, warrants interest and display.... but have doubts it's "SS" related, but it could be.

"Adding the hanger" probably hurts it's value (especially if it was legit WW2) but since "we'll never know" (unless there's a marking un-shown)....I'd guess it's value well under $100.00 unless you can PROVE the SS connection absolutely.

If it was something official....it should have "foundry makes" or something...
    could be on the edge or reverse.... looking a the pictures again, what's it made of...?....Spelter or Plaster of Paris (Ceramic)....
    John G.

Comment

I have no idea what spelter is, but it is not plaster of paris, as I know it, it is heavy. The stuff I used to put the hanger in can be removed without much trouble.
      However, I have no idea exactly what it is.

Ron

Comment

Ron,
        "Spelter" is the "pot metal/Slag" used in casting "inexpensive plaques, statues, Busts, and the like....

Sometimes "plaster" is used for the same purpose....couldn't tell from the pictures - that's why I asked.

I doubt it has any connection to the Waffen SS unit with that name....it would probably have some "contemporary" symbolism if it was....and by the "middle of the war" when the GvB Division was formed....they weren't making many plaques for hanging on the wall. However, jury still out...
        John G.

Comment

John,

I never heard that material name before, but it is not (I don't think) that....not any kind of metal, even pot metal. I also really don't know a great deal about plaster of paris; however, when I was a young kid (in the "Dark Ages" of the 40s) we made things out of plaster of paris, but they were somewhat soft and broke rather easily. This stuff is rather hard. It is not like some of the resin things of today, and it is much heavier too. I am not, however, a craft person and have no idea about materials. Inside the hole in the back it was gray like real old mortar or something, and it also looked slightly granular; however, since I didn't make the hole (there when I got it), I don't know how hard it is and etc.. It does look like it was molded though. I have not seen any artist or maker marks on it.

I gathered up, over the years, many German steins and krugs, wood carvings, and other German antiques etc. it looks good with them.

Thanks,
          Ron

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
          X