Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WMF bowl

Hi guys
    I have picked up this nice WMF bowl and I have no idea if is real.
    What is your opinions?
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Stingray,

A charming and kitschy folkish piece! I think it is from the TR period. I can see it in a dining room with fruit in it. Just my opinion, of course.

Br. James

Comment

stingray69...

Sorry to say....but NO WAY!....the Swas. embellishment has been added to an vintage silver plated bowl..... which shows it age, while the "added" "etch" are brand new looking....

This is the current "E-Bay/Eastern European" junk.....very little period materials were this "kitschy", and this is so "over the top" it doesn't nothing for me....(My opinion, of course!)

I could be wrong....but I've been "looking at this stuff for 56 years"....unless it had unquestionable provenace...I don't think I am.
          John G.

The "Ein Reich, Ein Volk, Ein Fuhrer" motto was related to the Annex. of Austria... just for informational perposes...

Comment

Yes, this rings as a post war embellishment and not working for me either.

Comment

Bowl

If this were authentic, I guarantee you that the swastika and other embellishment would have been centered. Really lame.

Comment

Thanks guys

Here are more pictures with macro.
                Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

That detail is raised isn't it? Hard to believe that this is ebay quality, but you live and learn.

Comment

Hi
                        Tony,it is not raised,it's etched

Comment

Honestly....we'd all like to "believe" it's real....but without provenance it's impossible to know....and is typical of the better quality "e-Bay" efforts to deceive.....

If you like "it".... display it. But a BAD INVESTMENT that you can only sell by making up your own "bull ****" story.... and "sticking" some uninformed collector. (IMO)

Avoid bowls, cigarette cases, match boxes, rings, shell cases, flower vases, etc. that can be embelished with an old cap eagle or skilled jeweler/engraver....of which there are many in Europe & Asia.....unless, of course, you're "grandfather" brought it home (or father/uncle)!
                          John G.

Comment

John offers some sound advice here, in general, within our hobby, and I certainly agree with it. But personally speaking, I still like this bowl and find it quite interesting...! With the countless privately-made pieces of every sort that were turned out in factories in every village, town and city throughout the TR for those years, either bearing a swastika or a slogan, or both, such pieces as this do demand provenance in order to establish hard authentication from the period; otherwise, all we're left with is a contest of "I think it's good" over against "I think it's postwar," with no chance of resolve possible.

This sort of piece, to my mind, is akin to something made in the USA (or elsewhere) emblazoned with the American Flag -- perhaps a spoon or a lampshade or a key case or even a bowl -- none of which having any traceable background nor are they tied to any particular "official" organization or event which might give them at least a background or some 'legitimacy.' But they all do exist, nonetheless. They are simply 'patriotic pieces' and nothing more than that.

All that being said, in my estimation this piece has a period charm to it, which was made stronger for me by the closeups of the etched Fraktur lettering.

Br. James

Comment

Br. James,

Of course, there's an element of truth to what you're saying- and you're free to have you're own opinions (unless your married )... however, the image of the swastika, Hitler, and offical Party emblems were highly regulated and indiscriminate use of such imagery would have ceased after 1933/34 when the controls took effect nationwide. Few would have risked the consequenses of such "kitsch" by the time of the Annex. of Austria....(there was "approved" kitsch"....but this just doesn't ring true "for me" as one of those...) Penalties for violations could be very serious!

Glad you like it (is a nice engraving/etching job)....but "not for me"....
                              Meant with "all the best intent"... chocolate/vanilia thing!
                              John G.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X