Cased Olympic Medal Pulled Out of the Woodwork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cased Olympic Medal Pulled Out of the Woodwork

I just pulled this gem out of the woodwork, here locally. A super nice Olympic Medal 2nd class, cased with engraving to the original owner. Along with the medal, came a nice document on Hitler stationary, which is also named to the guy. He was a head coach for the US speed skating team in '36. He is deceased and his wife was going into a retirement home. The kids were cleaning out the house and just threw the medal in the trash when a cleaning lady asked if she could have it. I purchased the grouping from her. I have never encountered one of these badges engraved. The font has a super nice "diamond cut" to it which shows a very high quality of work.

Enjoy the pics!

Mark
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Mark,

That is just spectacular!!!!!

Bob Hritz
                In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Wow! A unique item.

Comment

That is a fantastic piece--& to think it almost ended up in the trash.

Thanks for posting....
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

According to the caption of this pic, he was chairman of the US AAU Boxing Committee. He is on the far right (Avery Brundage is on the far left).
                      Attached Files
                      NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

Thanks guys for the comments. It really is a super piece. Great info on the picture. I may be confused on the sport he was associated with. I really haven't had a lot of time to do much research on him. I would welcome any information

Comment

Now that IS special !!! Spectacular find simply awesome and I would venture worth well over 4 figures of anyone's money!

Comment

Very impressive. I wonder where the award document is, as I would think there was one? Maybe still with the family. More research sure would be necessary IMO.

Comment

Fantastic find, Mark! And almost lost forever, if not for a cleaning lady!
                              I think, judging by the style of engraving, that the recipient likely had it done by a jeweler here in the states rather than in Germany. That would have been a normal procedure during the period.
                              Erich
                              Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X