J M Proficiency Clasp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J M Proficiency Clasp

*The proficiency awards were introduced for both the League Of German Girls (BDM) and the Jungmaedel on April 28, 1934.

The achievement badge was in the shape of the initials "BDM" inside a rectangular frame with a plain red ribbon background for Jungmaedel and red-white-red for the League Of German Girls (BDM).

Originally, both were in a silver frame with silver letters, but in 1935 a bronze award was added for the League Of German Girls (BDM).

After that,the letters and frame denoted the grade of the award...bronze for the 1st grade, and silver for the 2nd (highest) grade.

In 1940, a special Jungmaededel award was created with the letters "JM" on a solid red background, and only was awarded in one grade.

In order to earn the proficiency badge, the tests had to be completed in one year.

the tests included Nursing, first aid, political knowledge, and physical exercises.

Members of the Jungmaedel were not allowed to try for the award until their 12th birthday, even though the age they became eligible to join the organization was 10.

More than 115,000 awards of the BDM badge and 58,000 awards of the JM badge had been made by 1943.

Issued badges were usually numbered on the reverse.

*from the internet.
    RonR

Here is an example of the "JM" proficiency clasp....

Attached Files
    RonR

Comment

;;;
      Attached Files
      RonR

Comment

Made by Karl Wurster....

Attached Files
        RonR

Comment

''''
          Attached Files
          RonR

Comment

Very nice Ron Here is my old example

Nick
            Attached Files

Comment

Nick,

That is a dandy!

Looks to be made by Wachtler & Lange.

Best regards,
              RonR

Comment

Hi guys!

Nice thread! These badges have rarely been awarded in Austria. Thanks for posting!

Kind regards, Peter

Comment

J M Proficiency Clasp

Very nice...I'm on the look-out for one of these. Very nice.

Comment

Some very nice badges guys!

Comment

Originally posted by Edelweisse View Post
                      Very nice...I'm on the look-out for one of these. Very nice.
                      Me too. Why, considering the number awarded, are these so hard to find? (at a reasonable price)
                      Pete

Comment

Originally posted by Wood View Post
                        Me too. Why, considering the number awarded, are these so hard to find? (at a reasonable price)
                        Pete
                        Pete,

My opinion is that this badge does not contain a swastika and likely did not make a great souvenir for the returning GI's who wanted trinkets to show the defeated, yet still mysterious power of that symbol.

Don't find many in veterans lots through the years.

Just my theory.

Best regards,
                        RonR

Comment

Originally posted by RonR View Post
                          *The proficiency awards were introduced for both the League Of German Girls (BDM) and the Jungmaedel on April 28, 1934.

The achievement badge was in the shape of the initials "BDM" inside a rectangular frame with a plain red ribbon background for Jungmaedel and red-white-red for the League Of German Girls (BDM).

Originally, both were in a silver frame with silver letters, but in 1935 a bronze award was added for the League Of German Girls (BDM).

After that,the letters and frame denoted the grade of the award...bronze for the 1st grade, and silver for the 2nd (highest) grade.

In 1940, a special Jungmaededel award was created with the letters "JM" on a solid red background, and only was awarded in one grade.

In order to earn the proficiency badge, the tests had to be completed in one year.

the tests included Nursing, first aid, political knowledge, and physical exercises.

Members of the Jungmaedel were not allowed to try for the award until their 12th birthday, even though the age they became eligible to join the organization was 10.

More than 115,000 awards of the BDM badge and 58,000 awards of the JM badge had been made by 1943.

Issued badges were usually numbered on the reverse.

*from the internet.
                          "from the internet" ? Nice caveat and nothing more than a euphimism for "I know nothing about this badge that I own so here's what I found on the net."

None of you who own examples of this badge have noticed anything wrong with RonR's post?

RonR: try looking harder sir. The information you posted is well-meant I'm sure but it is unhelpful to any true understanding of the history of this badge, how and when these girls qualified, when it was introduced etc etc. Almost everything you posted is quite simply wrong. With one exception, all you have there are the regurgitations of a generation of collectors influenced by the inadequate research carried out decades ago by people who were often more interested in selling books, getting a 'name' and carving out a very profitable niche for themselves than they were with history.

If I thought that you would respond to this thread I could point you to some solid resources but you've probably already forgotten that you even made that post.

Comment

Well, a week has passed and as predicted, Mr RonR has forgotten his copy/paste in this thread. WAF has few too many moderators.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
                            X