Pennant Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pennant Eagle

I just got this out of the woodwork, and wonder if anybody can ID what appears to me to be a car pennant eagle - a huge one at that. Looks political, which is why I am posting it here.
    Attached Files

More photos.
    Attached Files

Comment

craig........that is my opinion as well it being a political car pennant eagle.mid 1930's time period........dave

Comment

after looking again at the mounting screw and nut and the size, it's possible it could have been adapted as a hood ornament,just a thought............dave

Comment

Well that's funny, because the family was told by the vet - who has long since passed - that it was taken off of the hood of a car. I never know what to believe, but in this case, I think you may be on to something.

Comment

craig i know what you mean about what to believe,when we aquire these artifacts from the vet's family,or even the vet themselves all we can do is take what we are told and use logic and common sense and draw our own conclusions.in this case it seems to make sense..........dave

Comment

I think it is a pole top missing the cup for the pole at the bottom as the nut is too large for a car pennant topper IMO.

Comment

Could be from a PL band musical instrument like the Glockenspiel (lyre xylophone). They frequently had decorative tops like this attached at the top of the instrument.

Comment

It could also have been used on a block of marble as a desk ornament. The base is perfect for that.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

similar eagle on a pennant pole
                    Attached Files
                    https://www.nsdapuniforms.com

Comment

Originally posted by JoeW View Post
                      Could be from a PL band musical instrument like the Glockenspiel (lyre xylophone). They frequently had decorative tops like this attached at the top of the instrument.
                      On second thought after looking at a period Glockenspiel photo, it is not large enough to be used on one.

Comment

eagle

Here's one NSKK of similar construction and size. Looks to have the same bolt with course threads.

Regards, Mike
                        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Mike,

Good to see you here. I think the one that you posted is much much larger than Jeff's or Craig's. I think theirs would be mounted onto a fender / poletop whereas yours would be on a radiator?

Mil

Comment

eagle

Here's three different NSKK eagles. One on a desk ornament. The small one is for a pennant pole top like Jeff's. and one with stud showing. You can compare size with the ink pen. That one is smaller than the one Craig is showing. Even the desk eagle is somewhat smaller than his.

Regards, Mike
                            Attached Files

Comment

eagle

More shots with pen comparison. By the way...the large eagle's wings are 135 mm's tip to tip , the middle one is 100 mm's and the small one is 73 mm's. All the eagles above are well made and highly chrome plated!

Regards, Mike
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X