wooden candle holder "Ehret die Scholle"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wooden candle holder "Ehret die Scholle"

since there is no more cultural thread and there was the advise to post such stuff in the political section in the future..I would like some opinions on this candle holder.

I just bought it from a local dealer here who is not into military stuff..its more like a common second hand shop with all kinds of household stuff.

on the candle holder It looks like the Motto "Ehret die Scholle.." was done privately or homemade.. It actually has a spelling error in the last word... "nähret" I only know nährt or ernährt..nähret is not correct spelled...or??
    Attached Files

w
    Attached Files

Comment

re
      Attached Files

Comment

kl
        Attached Files

Comment

I think it is suppose to be "nährt."

I would say a home-made piece for sure!

Comment

An old candleholder, but personally I'm not too enthousiast on the added tekst.

Comment

" nähret " is an old form of "nährt". It is correct but no loger used today.

There is a form "bleibt im Lande und nähret Euch redlich.." lodging in the coutry and feeds you fairly..

Gerdan

Comment

Looks like added text?

Comment

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
                  " nähret " is an old form of "nährt". It is correct but no loger used today.

There is a form "bleibt im Lande und nähret Euch redlich.." lodging in the coutry and feeds you fairly..

Gerdan
                  As Gerdan probably knows better than I, these "sayings" eventually got abbreviated into shorter and shorter words.

I have had trouble figuring out many sayings and my relatives who are fluent German speakers being from there during the 30's-60's could not recognize certain words or idioms.

So that is a good sign.
                  But as Chris B. notes it looks a bit like it could be a later addition, maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
                    Looks like added text?
                    it is a possibility.

I have always been worried when I see somthing "burned" on to wood.
                    I have no evidence that the burned look was not of the era, but I always wonder.
                    Maybe someone else has some relevant info

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Boonzaier View Post
                      Looks like added text?
                      it is a possibility.

I have always been worried when I see somthing "burned" on to wood.
                      I have no evidence that the burned look was not of the era, but I always wonder.
                      Maybe someone else has some relevant info

Maybe it is not burned on and just looks that way?

Comment

Thanks for your help and opinions
                        about the text..yes, its really hard to say when the texts was added to the candleholder..certainly after the purchase of the candle holder and homemade... the dealer couldnt say anything more about it... I like ist appearence pretty much

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X