the SA Logo...who designed it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the SA Logo...who designed it?

question comes always to mind when Im looking at the SA Sign and ask myself over and over again..what a great looking Design for 2 simple Letters..who was the brain behind it?..is it known?

also didnt know before, that the popular designer company Boss was under contract to tailor SA uniforms in 1932 *source:wikipedia

Hugo Boss

Yes, and if I'm not mistaken, HB was also contracted to produce SS uniforms?

As for the original design of the SA logo, I would also like to learn who designed it.

Is it known what year the logo first appeared?

Best Regards

Comment

A very good question. The designer of the SS logo is known but from the SA logo is not.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
      Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Per Wim Saris, it was designed by Max Zankl and Hans Zöberlein as a result of a contest sponsored by the OSAF in 1929.
        Erich
        Festina lente!

Comment

Originally posted by Erich B. View Post
          Per Wim Saris, it was designed by Max Zankl and Hans Zöberlein as a result of a contest sponsored by the OSAF in 1929.
          Erich
          Interesting. Didn't know that. You can always rely on good old Wim Saris.

Regards, Wim

Freedom is not for Free
          Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Well, far be it from me to disagree with Wim Saris about ANY subject, but for the sake of comprehension, I note that on p.100-102 of Robin Lumsden's "The Black Corps" (published in 1992 by Hippocrene Books, NYC), he informed readers that both the SA and the SS logos were created by graphics designer Walter Heck during his time employed by the firm of Ferdinand Hoffstätter in Bonn.

Br. James

Comment

I took my information from the magazine "Uniformen-Markt", nr. 6 from May 1, 1936. Page 86.
              Here a small article was published: Wie das SA-Ziviabzeichen entstand (how the SA civil insignia was created). Here it is explained how the guys created it. The UM quoted from "Der SA-Mann" number 15 from 1936.

Zöberlein was poet from "Der Glaube an Deutschland"; Obersturmbannführer Zankl was leader from Sturmbann II from Standarte "List" from Munich. They both handed over the design to the Oberste SA-Führung. Who knows, it was finalized by a professional designer. This is possible.
              If I am not correct, then you all should blame the mentioned magzine(s)!

The German text:
              '"Entstanden aus der sogenannten Siegrune, dem altgermanischen Zeichen des Blitzes, in Verbindung mit einem zweiten Teilstück, der sogenannten Mannrune, der Rune des "Ich". Beide Symbolen wurden durch einen Ring (Geschlossenheit der beiden Gedanken) miteinander verbunden."
              The structuring for the runes was done in such way that one saw the S and A. At a later moment the "hook" between the SA and A was added. Maybe this was done by the designer Heck. This was not mentioned!
              Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 03-25-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Many thanks for these details, Wim! And indeed you may well be right that all three persons contributed to the final design: Zankl and Zöberlein with the initial concept and Heck with the final layout. Probably one of the countless mysteries we come across in this ever-fascinating hobby of ours!

Br. James

Comment

great question and interesting information,once again today i learned something.............dave

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                    I took my information from the magazine "Uniformen-Markt", nr. 6 from May 1, 1936. Page 86.
                    Here a small article was published: Wie das SA-Ziviabzeichen entstand (how the SA civil insignia was created). Here it is explained how the guys created it. The UM quoted from "Der SA-Mann" number 15 from 1936.

Zöberlein was poet from "Der Glaube an Deutschland"; Obersturmbannführer Zankl was leader from Sturmbann II from Standarte "List" from Munich. They both handed over the design to the Oberste SA-Führung. Who knows, it was finalized by a professional designer. This is possible.
                    If I am not correct, then you all should blame the mentioned magzine(s)!

The German text:
                    '"Entstanden aus der sogenannten Siegrune, dem altgermanischen Zeichen des Blitzes, in Verbindung mit einem zweiten Teilstück, der sogenannten Mannrune, der Rune des "Ich". Beide Symbolen wurden durch einen Ring (Geschlossenheit der beiden Gedanken) miteinander verbunden."
                    The structuring for the runes was done in such way that one saw the S and A. At a later moment the "hook" between the SA and A was added. Maybe this was done by the designer Heck. This was not mentioned!
                    Each and every day that I log into WAF I can count on garnering yet another stimulating nugget of wisdom pertaining to this most fascinating obsession of mine.

Now this may well sound somewhat silly, but in all honesty, the vast resources of knowledge that many of you gentlemen obviously possess, coupled with the depth of understanding exhibited, quite often makes me feel like a naive disciple among a assembly of Sages.

Sincere thanks to all of you!

Comment

Here a small article was published: Wie das SA-Ziviabzeichen entstand (how the SA civil insignia was created). Here it is explained how the guys created it.
                      Good information, thanks for posting!

Does the article happen to mention what year they designed it?

Best Regards

Comment

The German text:
                        thank you very much for the help and this great Info very much appreciated.

Comment

as what Erich B. said in post 4: 1929.

Thanks all of you guys. It pleased me I could help a bit.

Robert: I am into research since the early seventies. So for 40 years now. I still do not know much and have a lot to learn! Who knows what you all will know in the coming 40 years! By then I will be long gone.........
                          Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 03-25-2013, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Stosstrupp 1917

as what Erich B. said in post 4: 1929.
                            Apologies, I overlooked that post.

I'm curious if the graphic designers are the same individuals who made the 1934 film about WW1, titled 'Stosstrupp 1917'. Was written & directed by a Hans Zöberlein, and stars a Max Zankl.

Thanks again for the info. As has been stated, always a pleasure to learn!

Comment

Robert: I am into research since the early seventies. So for 40 years now. I still do not know much and have a lot to learn! Who knows what you all will know in the coming 40 years! By then I will be long gone.........

Wilhelm my friend, I'm 54 at present, I would therefore imagine that 40 years from today I too will have become nothing more than a faint memory in the minds of but a very few loved ones.

Modest doubt is called the beacon of the wise.
                              ~William Shakespeare

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X