Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice Nürnberg desk eagle, but ...

Hi,

I found this nice eagle today at a antique market, the seller was proud, that his father filled the swas area with solder

What a shame for this very nice item.
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

it could carefully be removed

Comment

One wonders what a person thought he was accomplishing by obtaining a war relic -- either by having participated in WWII directly or by purchasing an antique in the marketplace -- and then going to the trouble of defacing it. Having done so, would a person place this eagle on the mantlepiece in his living room or on a bookcase shelf in his office for all to see...proudly?! I suppose it is beyond me to comprehend why a person would do something like this and then keep it around afterwards instead of disposing of it permanently...?! To hate the very idea of the Nazis is certainly understandable, but to take the time to deface an art object and not throw it into the trash amazes me!

Br. James

Comment

Handling Nazi items is horrible for many people here in Germany, even today. Thats the reason many items got and still getting completely destroyed.
                In this case they recognize some possible profit, so they decided to denazifey it.

Comment

Completely understand the German negativism about the 3rd Reich. I know from experience. But in this case "Stupid is what Stupid does"! Hard for me to explain. It you don't want it, sell it for give it away. But going through all this trouble is just plain stupid. Oh Well in the end I am not surprised. Jürgen

Comment

It's still a nice piece.

Comment

I would think you might place that lovely onto a rack inside of your kitchen oven facing down and have the solder melt and drip into a catch receptacle without doing it an harm.

Comment

How unfortunate, such a beautiful bird!

But, as others have mentioned, it might be restorable to its former condition depending on the type of solder/welding material used and the eagle base metal. Nothing as important as this gorgeous piece but I was able to salvage a very nice summer breast eagle that a vet had "restored" with with big lumps of solder and copper wire to replace the missing hardware. Luckily enough the solder just liquified and was easy to remove without any damage to the piece despite the fact the eagle was made of a very soft alloy (cupal)

My bird was not worth much other than sentimental value (my first TR piece ever) and easy enough to replace had I screwed it up however your eagle would definitly be worth the effort and cost of taking it to a professional welder or jeweller to assess the risks. If, as I suspect, it was denazified using soft, garden variety welding gun solder and the eagle is massive zink you will probably be able to bring it back to its former glory...

Regards

JC

Comment

for a expert I guess its not that much trouble to remove the solder again..and IMO its worth it.
                          but it somehow looks like there is no swas there anymore behind the solder...maybe he rasped it out before and filled it up?!

Comment

hello, m-e-h-t, are you possibly going to put it up for sale ,and let the new owner figure out how to possibly restore it ?,just wondering ... ec

Comment

Looks like the swaz is there. I would say try and have crap removed. It may be easier than you think.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X