Diplomatic Corps great coat of German Ambassador to Sweden

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diplomatic Corps great coat of German Ambassador to Sweden

It's always hard for me to decide on a sub forum for any Diplomatic or Government Official's items but this is probably the best place to post it.

This is the named Diplomatic great coat of Prinz Victor zu Wied: http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Viktor_zu_Wied (the German site contains a lot more information: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Prinz_von_Wied)

The coat was tailored by C.H. Busch of Potsdam in December of 1939 and shows the correct three five-sided stars for a Group 2 Group I Chief Official (Generalkonsul, Gesandter I Klasse). Prinz zu Wied led the German negotiations with the Swedish government during the Scandinavian campaign.

When I received the great coat, two of the rear buttons were missing and through the help of WAF member AndyC, I was able to complete it quickly.

So far, I was only able to find one wartime photo of Prinz Victor zu Wied and he is not wearing the coat in it. Maybe, some of the Swedish WAF members can help?

Best Kurt
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

-
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

--
              Attached Files

Comment

Oh, that is lovely! Your Diplomatic collection is truly awe inspiring...

Comment

All I can say is that the prince should take a few minutes to get his boots polished -- that would make a much better impression upon the Swedes while he's wearing this fabulous coat! Seriously, this is a wonderful and rare piece -- thanks so much for sharing it with us!

Br. James

Comment

Once again, wunderbar! Just amazing--I don't know how you find it all
                    NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

A great find and into the right collection. Congrats !
                      Thanks for sharing this rarity.

-wagner-

Comment

Kurt......do you have some sort of gallery I can drool over lol.....Your diplo corps collection must be stunning!

Comment

Wonderful great coat Kurt!!
                          It is always a great pleasure for me to read your threads about the diplomatic corps, many thanks for sharing.
                          Just one question: are the buttons on the reverse of your great coat "tailenknopf" (buttons with 2 loops or hook buttons)?
                          If so, will you be so kind to take a photograph of it please?

Best
                          Cédric

Comment

Kurt, great greatcoat. Congratulations with this find.
                            For me the brocade and buckle are even more interesting. Do you know if the buckle has manufacturing markings at the reverse?
                            Thanks for showing. Great collection!

Comment

Originally posted by Christophorus View Post
                              Just one question: are the buttons on the reverse of your great coat "tailenknopf" (buttons with 2 loops or hook buttons)?
                              If so, will you be so kind to take a photograph of it please?

Best
                              Cédric
                              Cédric,

all of the buttons on the great coat are the same style (front and back). All 12 that were on the coat are made by Assmann and have a gold reverse, the two replacement that I got from AndyC are slightly different but also Assmann marked. Here are pics of the two replaced buttons.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X