Stahlhelmbund badge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stahlhelmbund badge question

I have noticed Stahlhelm member badges were produced in both alpaka and in silver versions. Were both versions available for each and every year (1918 - 1932) or were there years which were exclusively silver or alpaka? I would imagine silver was a valuable commodity in the lean years of hyper-inflation and alpaka badges would be the most common during those times. As times got better, silver became more affordable and one would almost thing the latter badges would then be most commonly found in silver. If anyone can post badges, it would be nice to see how complete a run we can assemble for all the years in both silver and alpaka.
    Richard V

An extensive article about these badges was published in the "Military Advisor"-magazine from Bender Publishing:
    volume 23, number 2 from spring 2012 with 16 pages. The article deals with the historical development of these badges between 1933-1945; the seventeen granted honor badges 1918; the various document-forms; the truth about the "STH""-abbreviation; the manufacturing with a brief procedure of manufacturing (Bearbeitungsstufen) etc.
    Have a look at Bender's website for ordering the magazine!

Further consult this forum: Freikorps/Weimar Period Forums (1918-1933) in which these badges are also discussed in some threads!

Comment

Hi Richard,

Wim Saris' article in "Military Advisor" is groundbreaking, without doubt, and I would also suggest that it is fundamental reading for anyone interested in this facet of our hobby. Having collected Stahlhelm Bund Commemorative Badges for decades myself -- along with other related Stahlhelm material -- I too have noticed that some of these are marked with an "A" indicating "Alpaca" or nickel silver, some carry "935" for solid high-content fine silver, and yet others have no indication of metal content indicated on them. My collection includes one badge from every issue year from 1919 through 1932; the one and only year represented in my collection by more than one badge is 1925, and one of those is marked "935" and the other has no metal content indication marked. As I recall Wim mentioning in his article, there was more than one manufacturer involved with producing Commemorative Badges for the Stahlhof, so I would imagine that all three forms of badge were available for any one year: the solid silver "935," the nickel silver "A," and the badge with no indication of metal content -- the cheapest of the three. As to the economic conditions playing a part in the quality of the annual Commemorative Badges, with hundreds of thousands of Stahlhelm Bund members across the nation -- many of whom representing the royalty, the nobility and the high-echelon military elite -- there would probably have been interest in high-quality silver badges every year between those dates! Hope these thoughts are helpful,

Br. James

Comment

Thanks very much for the comments gentlemen. I'll see if I can get this issue of the Military Advisor. I've developed an interest in this organization and am trying to complete what Br. James has done, a run from 1919 to 1932.
        Richard V

Comment

Just ordered the issue of Military Advisor. Looking forward to the information I might glean from it. Also on the lookout for ancillary badges and tinnies.

Interesting to note, I've found quite a few tinnies from after WW2 for reunion meetings of this organization
          Richard V

Comment

I'm sure you'll enjoy that issue, Richard, though there is a LOT of information there to absorb! As for the Stahlhelm Bund in the post-war years, following his release from prison in 1952 for war crimes, Luftwaffe Field Marshal Albert Kesselring became head of the Stahlhelm organization until his death in 1960. I have no information as to whether Der Stahlhelm, Bund der Front Soldaten existed beyond 'Smiling Albert's' days, or if it is still operating today. But it's a wonderful field for collecting!

Br. James

Comment

I have two plastic tinnies, one dated 1984 the other 1985, which are from gatherings of Stahlhelm veterans. I don't know if this means the organization was still around as such or if it was just a vets get together immortalized in plastic.
              Richard V

Comment

A very good question, Richard! While I have not seen these plastic Stahlhelm badges before, your supposition that they could represent vets get-togethers sounds spot-on. And since Der Stahlhelm existed in countries other than Germany, including here in the US, these badges could have come from such gatherings.

Br. James

Comment

Received the copy of the Military Advisor with the article written by Wilhelm Saris and must say it covers quite a bit of ground. Lots of good information and a great addition to my library. Are there any documented numbers for members of the years 1919 on?

I've attached a scan of the two post war Stahlhelmbund tinnies in my possession. I was mistaken in that only one is plastic. The grey one on the left is actually stamped metal. The green is plastic. I've seen a few more post war examples about, but they don't seem to come up that often.
                  Richard V
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very interesting pieces, Richard; thanks for sharing a photo of them. Both commemorate annual gatherings in Gemünd, in the Rhineland Palatinate; the latter one without exact dates refers to the hope for an undivided Germany. So obviously Der Stahlhelm survived Kesselring's death in 1960, and the organization may still exist today...? Great additions to a Stahlhelm Bund collection!

Br. James

Comment

The Stahlhelm-organization did still exist in the later 1980's. I was in Gemünd in October 1988, invited by the "Kampfbund für Europa, Der Stahlhelm e.V", for their annual meeting. I was there as I was researching the Bund and intended to write a book about them. For reasons I had to stop my research, as most of my photographic material got lost by accident after being reproduced.

In the later 1990's the Bund largely stopped, but some minor groups continued. This is what I have heard. As far as I know in about 2010 most groups dissolved. I think by now - when still existing - they went "underground". This could be so with groups in Pfalz and Flanders. I thought this is also said in Wkipedia.

I do not know, but it is possible that in some parts from Germany they might be a forbidden organization. Since about 2005 or so (I can't remember, but it even can be earlier) I do not have contact anymore with actual members, as all I knew quite the Bund, as they considered the Bund becoming too much right winged! To be a member could cause damage to their professional life!
                      Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 03-19-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X