No announcement yet.

Blood Order ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course (and as so often!) Jon and Br. James make a valid point regarding the (future?) possibility to attribute (second pattern) BO numbers. But on the other hand ANY Blood Order in almost ANY condition is worth collecting. Im still working on getting a first pattern one day, but as a collector of variations of medals i would love to get an unnumbered example too. Unnumbered pieces are maybe/probably something for the more advanced collector, but still any original BO is worth collecting!

Best regards,
    Gaston

Comment

No argument with Max Porter's opinion...though as with the Golden Party Badge, I think knowing who originally held a particular example makes all the difference! As we know, the ultra-rare Coburg Badge was also not numbered, yet the scarcity of original pieces continues to make it most desirable in any political collection. And I certainly support Gaston's point of view that the rarity of unnumbered original Second Issue Blood Order awards makes owning one quite attractive.

Br. James

Comment

I don't buy in to the thought that these were purchased as second medals by Blutordentragers. IF a second medal was allowed then why was it not applied for like the GPB, numbered and then sent out with appropriate file notes made such as we see in the archives with GPB? Either way we have no proof I guess.
        I think more likely these 2nd pattern medals had remained un issued and found at wars end.
        Don't get me wrong, they are still blood orders but not as desirable as a numbered one. Bt thats just my opinion, I respect others.

Comment

Has anyone encountered a BO that they suspect may have been left unissued and had numbers added post-war to enhance the value? I would imagine that is a danger with unissued specimens floating about...

Comment

Originally posted by Arran View Post
            Has anyone encountered a BO that they suspect may have been left unissued and had numbers added post-war to enhance the value? I would imagine that is a danger with unissued specimens floating about...
            Anything is possible but if you study the numbering of both the strikings, you can see the same characteristics, style, die flaws and fonts used depending on if the medal was a 1st or 2nd pattern. At least on the 1st pattern medals, the numbering was all hand done using all the same dies and IMO you would be able to detect in most cases a modern numbering application.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
              I don't buy in to the thought that these were purchased as second medals by Blutordentragers. IF a second medal was allowed then why was it not applied for like the GPB, numbered and then sent out with appropriate file notes made such as we see in the archives with GPB? Either way we have no proof I guess.
              I think more likely these 2nd pattern medals had remained un issued and found at wars end.
              Don't get me wrong, they are still blood orders but not as desirable as a numbered one. Bt thats just my opinion, I respect others.
              Jon,

If you were a party bigwig like Fobke for example, I don't think it would be too hard getting an unnumbered extra BO to wear so that your cased original stays safe and sound. JMO.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
              X