Daf aluminum cogwheel devices...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daf aluminum cogwheel devices...

Hello folks. I got these yesterday along w/ a minty RZM SA dagger and State Service flag. They've got me a bit baffled however as to their use as they're single-sided, and seem to lack any fastening devices. Were these intended for mounting on plaques, etc? I can find no markings on them whatsoever. They measure 8 inches in diameter. Any ideas? A few pix below. Thank you.
    Attached Files

I still haven't figured these out either. I've seen quite a few, and including the one I have, none of them have markings. I saw one that had a threaded stud soldered to one of the spokes so that it could be mounted vertically on a horizontal surface. But IMO, there's insufficient evidence to prove their intended use. And because of this ambiguity, some have questioned whether or not they're even authentic to the period. But I still believe they are, just not sure what they were used for.

Comment

Thanks for your comments. The only thing I can figure, as there is a very small circular "spot" (for want of a better word), on the reverse of each one that might be an indicator of where to drill a hole to insert a brad, etc with which to hang them. The castings are of very high quality, and I've personally never really had occasion to question their being period pieces, however their exact intended use does seem to be a bit of a puzzle...

Comment

Thanks for bringing this up.

I have seen many of these offered - over the years, that is - and I've never been able to figure out their use. I'm not saying they are not authentic, far from it.

I've been tempted to buy one myself, being a collector of DAF items. I think they look really cool, and would compliment my display.

Anyone have any more info on these?? If so please post!

For some reason they remind me of the VW logo from the NZ period....

John
        Last edited by Runic; 08-30-2012, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Thanks for commenting on the thread, and yes, you're right, they are reminiscent of a VW motif. I have a personal friend who I've known for years whose uncle also brought home a few of these from the war and gave them to him years ago along w/ his other souvenirs. I've only personally had one other in my many years collecting, along w/ a DAF pole top.

Comment

They were for companies that achieved something but I dont remember exactly what.

Comment

As far as known: these symbols were only used for propaganda purposes with festivities.
              For archievements of various kind they used other signs.

Comment

Like the "Nationalsozialisticher Musterbetrieb" plaque for model factories who met all the high criteria for production standards. That was for model factories.

Like Wilhelm says- perhaps as displays at festivities ?

John

Comment

There is one of these mounted to a base … follow the link http://www.timetravelermilitaria.com/ and go to page 4 WW-2 GERMAN FLAGS, ARM BANDS, INSIGNIA & Misc Militaria Items and about ¾ of the way down the page on the left is one like yours. I hope this helps you out.

Comment

Thanks for that link! It's very helpful - cogwheel device on the end of a staff makes sense.

Also - that's a pretty cool website to add to the old faveorites list!

John

Comment

John, the one I was referencing to is the one attached to a base for a desk ornament.
                      Attached Files

Comment

oh - duh, wow - that makes more sense....sorry - I feel like the bad guy character in the Looney Tunes cartoons whose head suddenly turns into a jackass!

So - were these awarded for display like desk ornaments?

I've only ever seen them offered for sale as free and unattached to anything.
                        And so I always thought that perhaps they were for putting up on a wall.... I've seen several offered over the years, though, and this is the first I've seen on a desk display. And they seem to sell fairly quickly when they are offered.

Has anyone seen any period photos of them 'in use?'

Again, sorry I was a little slow on the uptake! Hee Haw, Hee Haw (my jackass imitation!)

John

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                        X