Early SS/SA Cap Eagle RZM Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early SS/SA Cap Eagle RZM Mark

Is this a normal RZM Mark on this style cap eagle?
    Attached Files

mark
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Ron,

I'm not sure whether there is a "normal" in this case, but I have seen this 2nd Issue (M-1934) cap eagle without any marking and with only one set of clips. Since the RZM organization was still in development in 1934 -- it didn't come on line fully until April of 1935 -- there is some leeway as to whether a cap eagle was RZM-marked or not.

Br. James

Comment

Also, as I'm sure you know, this eagle was used on PL caps, as well. It is the only Issue of the cap eagle with the swaz highlighted by the background being blackened in.

Br. James

Comment

Hi Ron

I dont know if it helps but I have the same style (M-1934) eagle with the same configuration RZM # (RZM 72) stamped behind the swastika, an SA Feldjägerkorps star with the same style RZM # (RZM 24) stamped on the back and closer to home I guess I also have a first pattern NSKK eagle with again the same RZM # configuration (pict not very good but "RZM 23" I beleive) stamped directly on the attachement clip like yours so this appears to be a legitimate early RZM # configuration used in different ways

Regards

JC
          Attached Files

Comment

And the other examples I mentioned...
            Attached Files

Comment

Eagle

The RZM Markings are fine, as others have said. They were RZM marked a myriad of ways. Some say "RZM UE (then the number), etc.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Eagle

I think I recall these eagles being used on SS or SA caps sometimes, but I'd say that was fairly rare. Eagles were often mis-used by different organizations, but to call it an SS eagle or an SA eagle would not really be accurate, IMO.

Comment

The unique cap eagle that was worn on the black SS peaked cap and also the field gray SS peaked cap was the SS M-1936 design. Cap eagles worn by the SS prior to 1936 were mostly of the M-1927 Political design, as worn on both the black SS kepi and the black SS peaked cap. The second design Political cap eagle -- the M-1934 -- replaced some of the M-1927 eagles on black peaked caps but the original M-1927 design eagle continued in use by many SS members. The second design revision was the short-lived M-1936 Political cap eagle -- the only design with the eagle looking to its right -- but by then the unique M-1936 SS cap eagle was fast coming into usage. The M-1936 Political cap eagle was replaced by the M-1937 Political design and then by the M-1939 Political design, which came as part of the massive 1939 uniform code revision. All of these five different cap eagle designs effected the SA as well as the Political Leaders' uniforms, but the SS only wore the M-1927, the M-1934 (briefly and not universally) and their own M-1936 SS design.

Br. James

Comment

James,

Could you post a photo of the 5 different eagle designs?

Mil

Comment

Sorry Mil, but I have neither the aptitude nor the machinery to post pix. But if you visit Phil Whamond's site at The Collector's Guild and select the Political section, he has examples of all five designs there. Hope this helps.

Br. James

Comment

Here you go Mil

Sorry the picts arent that good but in pict 1 top to bottom you have 1927, 1934and 1936 (only right facinf variant) and in pict 2 you have from bottom to top, 1934 and 1936 (again) and 1937 & 1939 the final pattern

Regards
                          JC
                          Attached Files

Comment

JC,

Thank you for taking time posting the photo.
                            As a matter of fact I was also corresponding with James and this was the outcome...

Mil

Comment

JC,

1. It might be my mistake that the 1939 piece might be wrong as it has a gold wash and intended for High Level Political Leaders?

2. The arrangement of 1936 / 1937 eagle is also different from yours?

3. We couldn't decide which year to assign the last SS eagle marked "??" - James has explained to me at length that he classes it as M1936, which I believe he will add on to this.

Great thread!

Mil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 10 users online. 0 members and 10 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X