Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dilemma

hello gentlemen,
    I bought this shirt last week end on a flee market in a small village in sachsen.All badges were inside one of a pocket.Do you think it is better to leave the shirt like this unbadged or would you resewn all badges in place ? The shirt does not have a rzm tag do you think it is a late war shirt?
    Thank you
    xavier

Hi Xavier,

IMO it is always better to leave a piece in the condition in which it was found; trying to reattach collar tabs, shoulder boards or collar piping often draws attention to a piece as being faked or falsely upgraded, and this Traditions Brown Shirt looks period to me. It may well have been manufactured during the period prior to the RZM coming on line as the arbiter of standards, in the early 1930s. Just my opinion, of course!

Br. James

Comment

Thank You, James for your opinion I appreciate;
      xavier

Comment

If the insignia truly belongs to the shirt,we of course dont know,id have no problem reapply it,as long as it is mentioned if ever sold,we of course all differ

Comment

I love this tunic.

Comment

That's a fine set! I have two shirts by the same maker, and both have the special snap strap at the collar front. One has an RZM label, but I can't remember if the other shirt does.
            If I had the shirt, I would check the tabs to see if the old stitch holes can still be seen, and, if so, try to match them to the stitching holes on the collars. If it's a match, I would at least think about having the insignia resewn. It's likely the original wearer had the shirt cleaned or laundered (before which he would have removed the insignia) and subsequently stored the insignia in the pocket. He would have had the insignia resewn to the shirt the next time he needed to wear it.
            Of course it's also possible that the insignia was stored in the pocket by a collector who was trying to complete a stripped brownshirt.
            I suspect the evidence of sewing found at the edges of the tabs will match the size/sewing pattern on the collar--I think the first scenario is likely.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

Thank You very much for the answer Gentlemen,I really appreciate your opinion.
              Regards, xavier

Comment

So what do you plan on doing with it leavening it alone or restoring it? I'm with Erich if the tabs match up put it back together. In my part of the world the mid west you don't see a lot of SA uniforms. And one restored rite would be a big hit I would think would be at home on display at the SOS. By the way I love that Taylor tag it's awesome.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X