Kurt Schmid-Ehmen Nuremberg Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael,

where did you obtain the photo in #15? - Did you purchase the KS Eagle?
    If so,

Mil

Comment

The photos I show are from Hermans and a fellow WAF member who has just alerted me to another authentic Kurt Schmid Ehmen "Estate" cast eagle. Nice Photos and excellent description from Kris Lindblom.
      "This example is one of approximately 8-10 casts that were commissioned by Ehmen shortly after the war for members of the family and produced off the original molds when they still existed. In the 1980's the widow of Kurt Ehmen had these birds photographed and had their pedigree written up and notarized, the paperwork and their story is included with the bird. This example was reportedly bought to market by the son of Kurt Ehmen and I was able to obtain it. The Adler is a large example standing at approx. 14 inches overall and the bird measures approx. 10 1/2 x 10 inches and weighs in at about 18 pounds and is cast in bronze and bears the artists initials K-S-E. The patina is a flat black and it is perched on its original polished marble base which is a variegated gray/green. Base measures 8 5/8 x 2 7/8 x 2 7/8. It is an impressive piece to say the least and would make a nice centerpiece for an advanced collection."

Looking carefully at this one, I believe that the Germania International eagles are either a copy of these "estate" cast eagles without the quality of the "estate" casts or a poor quality estate cast eagle. They certainly do not seem to be a version of the pre-war Schmid Ehmen presentation eagles and I would be very wary about buying one.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by mloppkit View Post
        Hi Mil,
        The three Herman Historica K-S eagles I show are accepted as original and have been authenticated by the Schmid-Ehmen estate- over-priced as they may be.
        not to derail this thread, but the vast majority of the population here has learned to tune this 'expert' out...
        usually, if he says its bad, its good!

Comment

Originally posted by TxGauleiter View Post
          not to derail this thread, but the vast majority of the population here has learned to tune this 'expert' out...
          usually, if he says its bad, its good!
          Not sure what I said was bad that was good but if I took the time to comment I probably felt it was bad. I say very little in general on many fakes that show up here and there are a lot of fake pieces that do.

Whatever.

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Vid View Post
            Not sure what I said was bad that was good but if I took the time to comment I probably felt it was bad. I say very little in general on many fakes that show up here and there are a lot of fake pieces that do.

Whatever.

Kris
            sorry, Kris, I was referring to "Military", the 5000-post machine who contributes nothing but misinformation and poor opinions...

Comment

Originally posted by TxGauleiter View Post
              sorry, Kris, I was referring to "Military", the 5000-post machine who contributes nothing but misinformation and poor opinions...
              Ahh, o.k. I was not sure but the placement made me think I made a bad call or something I was unaware of. Appreciate the note and was going back and looking at what I had said.

Thank you,

Kris

Comment

Originally posted by Vid View Post
                Ahh, o.k. I was not sure but the placement made me think I made a bad call or something I was unaware of. Appreciate the note and was going back and looking at what I had said.

Thank you,

Kris
                Darn Tx, I thought you were talking about Kris too!

Comment

Hi Kris,
                  Returning to the subject at hand, would you be willing to give your opinions on the Kurt Schmid Ehmen eagles from Germania International posted at the start of this thread given that you have recently owned one of the "estate casts, and are one of a very select few that have actually had an authentic one "in hand",
                  Best Regards,
                  Michael

Comment

Originally posted by mloppkit View Post
                    Hi Kris,
                    Returning to the subject at hand, would you be willing to give your opinions on the Kurt Schmid Ehmen eagles from Germania International posted at the start of this thread given that you have recently owned one of the "estate casts, and are one of a very select few that have actually had an authentic one "in hand",
                    Best Regards,
                    Michael
                    The Hermann Historica bird I handled and that turned up here in the states originally about a year before it went to auction, the one I had was identical other than the patina which is applied and can vary. I have file photos of a pre-war somewhere and they are not seen too often.

I think the first bird is not consistent with any of the other birds I have seen or handled, so my general take on these things is that they require patience and the right one will pop up in time and they are not items that you can reach into market and acquire at will.

Lot of bronze popping up in market lately, none of it very appealing to me. You can take what you want out of that statement, but if nice original pieces were readily available I would be buying more of it. To be honest its just not easy and finding them is difficult. I think I had that one estate cast and maybe 3 of the smaller Nuremberg eagles in 3 years.

Not sure what is overpriced but that papered Hermann's bird sold for 10k Euro, a 2nd sold for 8500.00 Euro without papers but that of course is the Euro market which is strong for these.

Keep your powder dry and be ready and they do come up.

Best,

Kris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                    X