Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt Schmid-Ehmen Nuremberg Eagle

Hello Everyone,
    I have noticed that a couple of local collectors have recently bought these “Kurt Schmid Ehmen Nuremberg Eagles” and have had them on display at a couple of large militaria shows lately. While I admit they are large and impressive I have to say that I have some serious doubts about their authenticity. When I questioned the owners politely as to where they came from and queried whether they were real, I was told “Germany” and that yes, they were indeed real. Another fellow collector has just alerted me to the Website where they are sold from and now I am even less convinced. In my opinion, these eagles do not possess the exceptional detail of the Kurt Schmid Ehmen pre-war originals or even the details of the post-war Kurt Schmid Ehmen so called “Estate casts” It is easy to see the difference between the original pre-war and original post-war Kurt Schmid Ehmen eagles and it is also easy to see the differences between the originals and these newly discovered eagles. The base of these recently sold eagles wings seem to have casting flaws that none of the original eagles have and also lack some other distinctive features. The seller claims that the bases are not original but the eagles definitely are as they are artist and foundry marked.-here is an excerpt:

“ this eagle bears the signature of the artist at the base of the bronze itself and the initials of the foundry P B u H Kunstgiesserei and this translates - Preussische- Bergwerks u, Hutten A G (art foundry). The translation of AG is corporation. We want to make it clear that no company still in existence today officially sold us these eagles...they were bought from the relative of a onetime company official who was able to preserve them in secrecy all these years and now thought they should be out there in the collector and museum world. This eagle would make the ultimate center piece of any fine collection and it will gain immensely in value once the few we have are gone” http://www.germaniainternational.com...reichart9.html

I could be wrong and these casting flaws and poor details are maybe just a feature of the foundry that these eagles came from but I am certainly not convinced but I could be wrong and welcome all comments,
    Best Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Files

More Photos
    Attached Files

Comment

Kurt Schmid-Ehmen pre-war presentation Eagle photos,
      Attached Files

Comment

Kurt Schmid-Ehmen post-war "estate cast" presentation Eagle photos,
        Attached Files

Comment

Kurt Schmid-Ehmen post-war "estate cast" Eagle photos (photos courtesy Herman Historica)
          Attached Files

Comment

I think your doubts are well founded. The quality is certainly not comparable.

I picked up two very cheap, but full size bronze busts of AH, life size, excellent likeness, but made in India....the man sold all bronzes up to full scale B.Tor Quadrigq with horses.

I still smile when I see these 'original' Hitler bronzes, same casting as mine, at 1k...

Comment

eagle

Michael,

I think you have a healthy obsession for eagles. but this is good news as I love such pieces as well.

Unfortunately at a glance the K-S eagle that you posted is poor. It has been artificially aged.

There were 2 on offer at the last Hermann Historica auction but after adding the auctioneer's tax, credit card surcharge and credit card fees, I think it was way overpriced.

Mil

Comment

Originally posted by Obersalzberg View Post

I picked up two very cheap, but full size bronze busts of AH, life size, excellent likeness, but made in India....the man sold all bronzes up to full scale B.Tor Quadrigq with horses.

I still smile when I see these 'original' Hitler bronzes, same casting as mine, at 1k...
                pics?

Comment

Originally posted by Obersalzberg View Post

yea, how about good detailed pics of these busts??

Comment

Originally posted by mrec27777 View Post
                    yea, how about good detailed pics of these busts??
                    Cant post, but can send pics to you if u like...

Comment

Hi Mil,
                      The three Herman Historica K-S eagles I show are accepted as original and have been authenticated by the Schmid-Ehmen estate- over-priced as they may be. I show them in order to make a comparison between the quality of these casts and the Germania International K-S eagles which are a lot cheaper and probably affordable to a lot of people- unlike the Herman Histrica eagles. I would be very interested to hear your views on these eagles. I don't think they have been artificially aged, if anything the bronze wash seems "too new" as there does not seem to be the verdigris expected after 75 years,
                      Best Regards,
                      Michael

Comment

From what I've seen on "Germania International" he's right up there with Snyder.

Comment

Michael,

Just to clarify, I have doubts with the one offered by germania international. afterall, was this not your question?

What do you mean by "estate cast"?

Mil

Comment

Hi Mil,
                            Thanks for the clarification and yes you have answered my question. I think we both have doubts about these eagles.

Two of the three Kurt Schmid Ehmen eagles I show from Hermans are “estate casts” ie. they were cast post- war in the early 1960’s from original molds by the Ehmen family “Estate” for members of the Ehmen family. In the 1980’s. Hetty Ehmen (Kurts Widow) had them authenticated by writing a history of them, getting them photographed and had paperwork signed by herself with a lawer present confirming their authenticity as post-war “estate” casts. When the first Hermans eagle was sold, it was sold with “a copy of a letter by Hetty Schmid-Ehmen dated 1983 confirming that this is a 1950/60 created model of the originally seven meter tall eagle at Luiptold” The other Hermans eagle stated simply that “ After the war, Kurt made about a handful of these model eagles”.

The other Kurt Schmid Eagle from Hermans I show however, is one of the original Pre-war eagles from around 1936 and there are many differences mainly with the level of detail. The eagles feathers on the front go all the way down to the wreath and on the back the feathers are very much more pronounced and shaped very differently. These eagles were Presentation pieces and are very scarce and in my opinion far more desirable than the post-war “knock-offs”

The point I make is that the Germania International eagles do not match either the Pre-war or Post-war Kurt Schmid Ehmen eagles. You make a good point about the artificial aging as the finish does not match either eagle either. I add that the shape of the lower eagles wings also does not match either eagle and neither does the quality of the cast,

Best Regards,
                            Michael

Comment

A photo showing the size comparison of the Kurt Schmid Ehmen eagles relative to
                              standard Nuremberg eagles.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X