Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big early SA Eagle

Hi Gents,
    this bird came to me from a private house. I cleaned it and see for ourself. The size is 40 cm from Wingtip to wingtip.
    KR
    Sascha

Sorry Sascha, but I don't like it. The feather and wreath detail is very faint and washed out, and it does not appear that this piece had any means for mounting it or affixing it to a wall or other surface. So how was it intended to be displayed? To me it looks like a casting from an original piece. Just my opinion, of course.

Br. James

Comment

Hi,
      so it was a dug up and looked really bad. I cleaned it with a steel brush, lost some material from the bird. On the backside you can see a rusty hook, that was the way to hang it somewhere.
      Regards
      Sascha

Comment

I still find it hard to convince myself that it is a dug piece.
        Evidence of cracking and pitting are in my view of a crude cast.
        Member Callmemeier has a nice one in his old posts.

Mil

Comment

Hello Sasha

I like all Imperial/Third Reich regalia but retired, on a limited budget so I focus on original medals, badges daggers etc but will occasionally buy a decent repro of something I like but find too expensive in its original form (Railway or wall eagles, spiked helmets etc.) for display rather than not having one at all.

Not an expert so I wont comment yours other than to say its a very poor casting but I bought what I beleive is a better casting of the same eagle a few years back advertised as a repro. Eagle is aprox 36 X 23mm semi-hollow cast aluminum with metal catch behind head to hang on the wall. It had a crappy finish when I bought it but detail looked promising so I ordered one, refinished it and I think it turned out pretty good... for a cheap copy to display with a few daggers. Price was $36.00 US plus silver & black paint & a bit of time

Sorry for the poor picture but its the only one I have

Regards

JC
          Attached Files

Comment

US$36 for a repro? I say its a good buy!

Mil

Comment

Now that's a beauty, JC...even if it is a repro! Nice, sharp detail over all.

Br. James

Comment

Thanks BR & Mil! Glad you liked it! By the way the measurements are in cms, not mm as I said in previous post

I'm not usually a person of compromises and wouldnt dream of buying a repro TR medal or badge (unless I got screwed) but... It dawned on me when I started looking around for middle age armor just to have "something" to show in the bookcase that displaying a $5000 "original" 16th Century beat-up, rusted to hell codpiece didnt exactly appeal to me quite as much as a decently made Bascinet or Great Helm repro worth a few hundred dollars and its a compromise I can live with

And for an "encore" Mil here is another (not so good) picture of an $89.00 US 28"X15" aprox. 5 pound cast aluminum railway eagle I got from the same source. Available in 2 flavours too: antiqued and polished! I'm sure purists can rip it to shreds but to me its a nice display piece for just a few $$$ more than the cost of the metal!

Regards

JC
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Jean-Claude; 07-10-2012, 12:11 AM. Reason: addition

Comment

Here's an example of a good one for reference.
                  Mil

Comment

Sascha's was in his update today and sold already.

Comment

I still don't like it, but to each his own; and yes Sasha's has been sold.

Mil

Comment

A fine piece, Mil! Thanks for showing this, as something to attain to!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X