Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another small Nuremberg Eagle

Hello Everyone,
    I am posting photos of the "other" type of small Nuremberg eagle- the one in which the eagle faces left. I see these pop up from time to time- sometimes on clocks, sometimes on bases, sometimes with no wreath-mount molded at the base and sometimes with a base molding. They are always a bronze plated brass and semi-hollow cast. I would love to hear any comments you may have about these eagles as I cannot find any past threads that have discussed them,
    Best Regards,
    Michael
    Attached Files

Photos of type with base molding
    Attached Files

Comment

Clock type without base molding
      Attached Files

Comment

Eagle on marble base
        Attached Files

Comment

Eagle on Marble base
          Attached Files

Comment

I particularly like the design of the one on the pedestal with the brass plaque on the front -- very attractive. The first one below has an interesting sculptured feature as the wreath meets the base; not seen that before, either. I like the model or mold number stamped onto the reverse of the base. The eagle atop the clock looks a bit odd to me, though perhaps that's just a design I don't find compelling. These were all intended as sales items, and one obviously had a wide range of choices to make.

Though one doesn't often see these Nuremberg Eagle models with its head facing its right, the big ones positioned at each end of the Luitpold Rostrum at the rally grounds each faced in toward the center of the rostrum, so I really don't have a problem with this. Thanks for sharing these,

Br. James

Comment

The examples on the clock and the tall marble pedestal I would consider to be reproductions, just my opinion.

Comment

I dont like the pitting that's seen on the first eagle, a tell-tale sign of a poor cast copy but well some will argue that it could be a "cheap party day souvenir" or "wartime cast". I don't have confidence in the eagle that you posted on the other thread, but perhaps this is just me. Like always there will be two sides of the coin in these discussions.

Mil

Comment

I would give these a thumbs down as well. As mentioned, the quality of the cast is poor. Whether a mold was made from an original statue or if it was cast from a newly made master, the loss of detail, signs of bubbles in the metal, odd finish, brass with bronze finish construction and the fact that it is paired with items from other time periods gives me cause to doubt. The marble clock could have been made in the 30s but the style looks 19 teens to 1920s to me. The plinth is late 19th century IMO. Even the inexpensive statues, plaques, and busts made of zinc with painted bronze finish during the III. Reich were cast better than these eagles.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Hi All,
                    Interesting comments everyone, I also am not impressed with the casting quality of the first one - it is the only one of these that I have seen "in the flesh" and I am also wary of the bronze wash as the color seems a bit wrong. I had always thought that this eagle may have been a modern reproduction of the clock eagles with the base molding added but could not say for sure but I wonder why it has a number stamped on the base. As for the others, they all sold quickly at various locations over the last few years, the one on the black pedestal was the subject of furious on-line bidding when it sold (for a surprisingly lot of money) and was the most recent one of these to sell. I guess some people believe in them as they all sold but many of us would need to see them in period photos or magazine and newspaper advertisements to be ultimately convinced,
                    Best Regards,
                    Michael

Comment

Michael,

A number stamped on the base, to me, does not substantially impact the value of a desk eagle. I understand that most of these eagles were either fully marked with an RZM code (M3/xx), just a makers mark (HB), or none at all. Desk eagles are an interesting aspect of collecting as they are hard to find itself.

Mil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X