SA Tunic Unit ID Needed-22/R224

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA Tunic Unit ID Needed-22/R224

SA Tunic Unit ID and Needed...22/R224 number on dark green tab...Thanks for looking. Ed
    Attached Files

tabs
    Attached Files

Comment

It's for Reserve Standarte 224 in Alzey, SA Group Kurpfalz, Brigade 150.
      Looks like a nice, unplayed with brownshirt.
      Erich
      Festina lente!

Comment

Erich, Thanks for the quick reply...It is a nice jacket that a friend owns and I had no clue what unit or exact time period it was used...Complete although the threads holding two buttons have now broken, but the buttons remain intact. Ed

Comment

Shirt

I think you hit the jackpot - hard to find nice early shirts like this untouched. I agree with Erich.

Comment

Just a side-bar notation: SA Traditions Brown Shirts normally included five buttons: three metal buttons and two bone or bakelite buttons along the front closure, plus one metal button on each pocket flap. The metal buttons were usually held in place by a key or other device which enabled the buttons to be removed when washing the garment. The closure at the neckline was accomplished by a regular bone or bakelite button sewn to the fabric -- this button was hidden by the necktie -- and the button at the very bottom of the front closure was also of bakelite or bone and was sewn on. This bottom button was hidden by the belt buckle and, were it to have been of the same material as the shiny metal buttons, it would have been scratched by the belt buckle which closed over top of it. This Brown Shirt appears to have all metal buttons...

Br. James

Comment

By God, sir, you are correct! Those are all metal buttons and each is sewn on although the top one is now loose due to its aged threads separating...Definately not a keeper for me once I get it. Ed

Comment

Hope I didn't ruin your day, Ed...

Br. James

Comment

Not at all, this will be a trade/resale piece since I don't collect SA...I've owned a few and sold them, but I recall at least two others that had all metal buttons...Can't recall if they were sewn down or removable.

Comment

Hello Ed.

The white on the piping looks incredibly clean compared to the tunic itself.

The tabs were detached for cleaning when worn by SA men, but again look clean compared to the tunic proper.

I wouldn't necessarily call it messed with but maybe restored. If it is restored it's quite well done.

Regards,
                    Chris.

Comment

Chris, I can only say it's untouched since WWII...it had laid in a chest since the war until given to the veteran's friend in the 1990s who placed it on a dummy form for show.

Also, I thought these were relatively common, but I've failed to find similar examples for sale...What's a value range on this currently considering its unit and condition? I'll get this in trade, but I don't need to own it forever so I want to be fair to both parties.

Thanks, Ed

Comment

Hello Ed.

Fair enough. You have it hands on.

I searched for a couple of brown shirts and ended up buying one that had been partially restored for about £400. This had no piping on it.

Last Reich had a nice one for sale for a musician that went very quickly for about £450.

If yours is untouched, and a sought after item, then I would say up to £800? Ulrich of England who over prices things had one for Hochland for £1100 a while back.

Chris.

Comment

Thanks, Chris, that's most helpful...I assume this is a relatively common unit being a reserve outfit.

Also, I'll take better reference photos and try to get the details in more natural light...these were shot outside but the flash came on a couple times. Ed

Comment

Originally posted by chrischa View Post
                            Hello Ed.

Fair enough. You have it hands on.

I searched for a couple of brown shirts and ended up buying one that had been partially restored for about £400. This had no piping on it.

Last Reich had a nice one for sale for a musician that went very quickly for about £450.

If yours is untouched, and a sought after item, then I would say up to £800? Ulrich of England who over prices things had one for Hochland for £1100 a while back.

Chris.
                            £800 is a very much over the mark, £400 to £450 is about right, though if someone offered me £800 for one of my Brownshirts id be overjoyed,Sean

Comment

I have bought my shirts from $500 to $800!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X