Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deutsches Reich flatware set?

Hello all,

Can anyone shed some background on this silverware please? Were these used on railway dining cars?

William Kramer
    Attached Files
    Please visit my site: https://wehrmacht-militaria.com/

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by all1knew View Post
      Hello all,

Can anyone shed some background on this silverware please? Were these used on railway dining cars?

William Kramer
      Indeed.....Deutsche Reichsbahn......not Das Reich as some would say.

Comment

If you Googled them generically you would get 20 hits and know what they are

Comment

You have a very nice place setting of German Railway dining car service. On p.75-76 in James Yannes' "Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich" (Trafford Publishing, 2009) you will find comments about this service, which was apparently made for one of the two staff dining cars on one of the two Sonderzuge (Special Trains) maintained for Hermann Göring. The maker of this service was the famous cutler, Bruckmann, and it is silver-plated; the "244" is the actual rolling stock number -- each train car was individually numbered. The table knife in your photo appears to be shown from the reverse side; the obverse of table service knives is the left face and should include the eagle/swaz and DR logo. Hope this is helpful to you, and again, a very nice setting!

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
            You have a very nice place setting of German Railway dining car service. On p.75-76 in James Yannes' "Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich" (Trafford Publishing, 2009) you will find comments about this service, which was apparently made for one of the two staff dining cars on one of the two Sonderzuge (Special Trains) maintained for Hermann Göring. The maker of this service was the famous cutler, Bruckmann, and it is silver-plated; the "244" is the actual rolling stock number -- each train car was individually numbered. The table knife in your photo appears to be shown from the reverse side; the obverse of table service knives is the left face and should include the eagle/swaz and DR logo. Hope this is helpful to you, and again, a very nice setting!

Br. James
            Thank you very much for the in-depth response!

William Kramer

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
              ... On p.75-76 in James Yannes' "Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich" (Trafford Publishing, 2009)...

Br. James
              WOW, ANOTHER reference book not in my collection. Thanks for alerting me

Comment

You're quite welcome -- that's what we're here for! Jim Yannes released another book on related subjects; as mentioned above, his 2009 resource titled "Collectible Spoons of the 3rd Reich" was succeeded in 2010 by "A Guide to 3rd Reich Cutlery, its Monograms, Logos, and Maker Marks," also published by Trafford. This second work includes all forms of table cutlery and many pix of originals, plus their monograms and maker marks. He is also currently working on yet another volume, though I am not aware of when that might be published. Great resources all!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                X