Eagle question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eagle question?

I got this eagle with broken wing and removed feets . Comes with wreath (double sided) and in it maybi sometimes swastika . In eagle wing found stamp (see photo) some numbers. Eagle is from zinc material and silwer plated . For me very similar some german nazi eagles (like on standarts or lyra). It measures ower wings are 20 cm. Question is could be german 3 reich era eagle and if anybody see somethink that ? If maybi from table decoration or from some cup?
    Any help welcome.
    Attached Files

More photos.
    Attached Files

Comment

And more photos.
      Attached Files

Comment

and last photo
        Attached Files

Comment

Hi Vox,

Thanks for sharing your acquisition with us -- a most interesting piece! While I agree that it certainly could be from a Nazi-era mounting of some sort, it does not resemble the eagle, wreath and swaz from atop the DE Standards. The head of the eagle from the DE Standards is pointed straight ahead in front of the body, while yours looks to its left; the Standard eagle is clothed-mouthed while yours has its mouth open; and the wreathed swaz from the Standard is considerably larger (in diameter) than the eagle perched atop it. The Standard's wreath is also wrapped with a ribbon, while yours has neither a wrapping ribbon or a ribbon to denote the beginning/ending of the wreath. Your wreath is also quite a bit smaller than the DE Standard's wreath in relation to the eagle, and your wreath appears to have mounting fixtures attached to one side. It may be that your eagle and the wreath are not from the same piece at all? Also, the eagle and swaz from the DE Standard was gilded, not silver-plated. I am not familiar with the eagle from atop the Schnellenbaum and perhaps this might be from that source? Just some thoughts...

Br. James

Comment

Thank you for nice explanation.

Comment

Hi Vox,
              Firstly let me say that I agree with Br. James completely. I agree that it does not resemble the eagle, wreath and swaz from atop the DE Standards.
              It does however very strongly resemble an "award" eagle, This type were often found with various engraved inscriptions on marble bases. I attach some photos of one of mine that is the same size and very similar in construction, only difference being that it sits on a swaz rather than having the swaz in a wreath so I believe that it could very well be "third Reich" in origin,
              Best Regards,
              Michael
              Attached Files

Comment

Hi Michael. I yust see your post. I agree with you. I think my eagle is like your. Because never see that styl award eagle i dont know what is. Yet with yours hely my mistery is closed. Thank you.

Comment

I agree, as well. Since we were at the disadvantage of not having the eagle's feet intact with Vox' example, we were left to make assumptions. But Michael has provided an excellent example of this piece and I agree that it is a match. Many thanks!

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X