No announcement yet.

Party Badge Set - info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Large badge has non-standard stippling under the red enamel. Both have odd fonts for the numbers on the back. Large Deschler has a pinplate only found on fakes.

The "ü" in "Munchen" on the paper label is wrong. It is a capital letter Ü when it should be small.

Both badges need much better photos - straight on front and back and well-lit. A good shot of the Fuess badge lettering and "MUNCHEN" on the pinplate will tell if original or fake. These photos too dark and blurry. There are some small details that are give-always, but can't see them in these photos.

Stephen
    Last edited by sjl; 05-31-2012, 08:46 PM.

Comment

more again...

more
      Attached Files

Comment

more

more
        Attached Files

Comment

one more

one more
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the better photos. Sadly, they are fakes.

The large has the problem with the dots under the red enamel (should be dashes --- not ... dots). The oak leaves should not have a pronounced center ridge or spine. Number on back is wrong font and stamped instead of impressed. Pinplate lacks a subtle but distinctive bump on edge.

Fuess badge has the wrong shape of letters on the front, deliberately obscured by artificial age and distress. Easy give away is the shape of the "C" in "MUNCHEN". It should be round and not tall like yours, which is common to the so-called "Austrian fakes". Number font on back is wrong as well.

The gilding on real badges does not blacken like these.

I already mentioned the problem with the "ü" on the case label.

So sorry - definite fakes, although the large is a high-end one.

Stephen

Comment

Thanks

Stephen - thanks so much for your time...I'll put these away...make for a nice conversation piece.

Comment

Sorry they didn't turn out. If they were real with case and attributed to Albert Forster, you'd be looking at $8-$10,000 or more. Cases are rarer than the badge.

I have info on real ones at http://pages.interlog.com/~sjl/GPB/index.html

Cheers, Stephen

Comment

One further note: it appears that the numbering on the reverse of both badges was done with the same dies, and the typeface of those dies is far different from that used by either Deschler or on the Fuess-marked badges. Since each badge was created by a different manufacturer, the probability of their both using an extremely unique die design for this one set of badges is, well...

Sorry that we have not had any input from Pete Whamond, who either sold this same set or one in the same case back in 2005... Perhaps he's not a contributor here?

Br. James

Comment

Br. James,

Your memory and recall is par excellent and yes this A. Forester #1924 set has been offered for many years back.
                    Back then I was contacted by a few offering this set.

Make note how the case has now been artificially aged dramatically through the ages from when it was originally offered to me
                    as opposed to the current condition.

John P.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by John Pepera; 06-03-2012, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Thank you, John, and you are very kind to attribute this recall to my memory -- the truth is that my notes far exceed my ability to remember most anything these days! And I certainly agree that both the case and the badges have not fared well over the last decade; the whole set has continued to suffer greatly!!

Good to hear from you, my friend,

Br. James

Comment

Thats the weak point with these artificial ageing people....they age everything, in all the wrong places, and all to the wrong degree.
                          For exanple, the inside flock would not deteriorate to such a filthy colour....unless left open in a field...
                          Their mistake is that they go overboard and dont know when to stop

Comment

thread

very informative thread,thank you everyone

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X