Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA wound badge

Hello,

I just got this badge and like to get some more informations on it.
    It looks to me like a "gold grade" but as far as I know there was no such a thing like a gold grade for these badges...?

Any information about this badge would be highly appreciated

Alex
    Attached Files

Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing your badge with us; it is the SA Military Defense Badge for War Wounded -- SA-Wehrabzeichen für Kriegversehrte. I have two examples of this badge in my collection and both are of the Bronze Grade. Both are marked with RZM M1/100 representing the firm of Werner Redo, Saarlautern. Perhaps there is a maker's mark/code on your piece, below the pin on the reverse of the swastika? This badge appeared fairly late in the war, instituted in October of 1943 and, given the onsetting collapse of the German economy by that time, was fairly cheaply fashioned of zinc with a thin finish in the color of the grade; the finish is often seen as having mostly disappeared over the years. I cannot accurately tell from your photos as to the grade of your piece, but according to fairly recent reference material published by both Adrian Forman and Detlev Niemann, this badge was only issued in the Bronze Grade. That being said, the 1978 reference work by John Angolia -- "For Führer and Fatherland: Political & Civil Awards of the Third Reich" -- states his opinion that "It is probable that the badge was awarded in bronze, silver and gold versions," and he shows a b/w photo of an example that he says is the Silver Grade, though the photo is indistinct as to color. He also adds that "It appears that the badge was only produced by Deschler and Son of Munich," though as I said above, both of my examples were made by Redo. This is a fairly rare badge and pristine examples are rare indeed. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Br. James

Comment

As far as I know these only came in one grade.
      pseudo-expert

Comment

I too believe that this badge was only awarded in one grade...I read somewhere that you had to have a previously awarded regular version and you could requalify to get to the wounded version, which replace the one already owned and its grade...if this makes sense

Cheers,

Glen

Comment

Here I found that it was given in "Bronze" and "Kriegsmetall" - whatever this means.

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/nat...-oek-3637.html

Gerdan

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
            Hi Alex,

Thanks for sharing your badge with us; it is the SA Military Defense Badge for War Wounded -- SA-Wehrabzeichen für Kriegversehrte. I have two examples of this badge in my collection and both are of the Bronze Grade. Both are marked with RZM M1/100 representing the firm of Werner Redo, Saarlautern. Perhaps there is a maker's mark/code on your piece, below the pin on the reverse of the swastika? This badge appeared fairly late in the war, instituted in October of 1943 and, given the onsetting collapse of the German economy by that time, was fairly cheaply fashioned of zinc with a thin finish in the color of the grade; the finish is often seen as having mostly disappeared over the years. I cannot accurately tell from your photos as to the grade of your piece, but according to fairly recent reference material published by both Adrian Forman and Detlev Niemann, this badge was only issued in the Bronze Grade. That being said, the 1978 reference work by John Angolia -- "For Führer and Fatherland: Political & Civil Awards of the Third Reich" -- states his opinion that "It is probable that the badge was awarded in bronze, silver and gold versions," and he shows a b/w photo of an example that he says is the Silver Grade, though the photo is indistinct as to color. He also adds that "It appears that the badge was only produced by Deschler and Son of Munich," though as I said above, both of my examples were made by Redo. This is a fairly rare badge and pristine examples are rare indeed. I hope this information is helpful to you.

Br. James
            Thank you very much James, your reply was very informative and helpful
            My badge is not marked anywhere, at least I could not find any markings.

Originally posted by Don D. View Post
            As far as I know these only came in one grade.
            Thanks Don, that would confirm what I knew about these badges which is 'to be honest' not much at all

Originally posted by 5ribbonbar View Post
            I too believe that this badge was only awarded in one grade...I read somewhere that you had to have a previously awarded regular version and you could requalify to get to the wounded version, which replace the one already owned and its grade...if this makes sense

Cheers,

Glen
            ohmmm, I need a few minutes to think this one thru

Originally posted by Gerdan View Post
            Here I found that it was given in "Bronze" and "Kriegsmetall" - whatever this means.

http://www.ehrenzeichen-orden.de/nat...-oek-3637.html

Gerdan
            Thanks Gerdan,

very interesting link.

As far as I know "Kriegsmetall" is a zink-lead-copper aloy.

So it seems like the one I have is the bronze grade (very likely only grade) with a hint of gold

Alex

Comment

My pleasure, Alex! I must add that if this badge is not marked, I would be suspicious of its origin in the period. I know of none of these that were not RZM'd. Perhaps others here have wider experience of this rare badge than I do and could say a further word about an unmarked example...?

Br. James

Comment

Here is an unmarked example..................

Attached Files
                RonR

Comment

And a marked example...............

Attached Files
                  RonR

Comment

---=
                    Attached Files
                    RonR

Comment

Thanks very much for the input, Ron, and particularly regarding your unmarked example of the SA Military Defense Badge for War Wounded. What is your take on some of these badges apparently not being RZM-marked -- which would seem to be a punishable offense during Third Reich times? Since none of these badges was numbered, there would be no difference between presented examples and private-purchase examples -- if it were even possible to purchase duplicates of this badge from an RZM shop, again given the state of the economy and the scarceness of literally all raw materials at that point. Are you aware of any reason for such unmarked badges?

Many thanks,

Br. James

Comment

Since helmets are my main interest in the hobby, I have not studied the regulations, as many of our very knowledgeable members have for years, and I would defer to them.

However, given that the type one SA Defense Badges do not have any RZM marks nor accountability numbers, I don't know that the regulations required the mark on this badge.

Perhaps we can learn more from some of our fellow members.

Best regards
                        RonR

Comment

Hello Br. James and RonR,

again, thank you very much for your reply.

Ron's unmarked badge has exactly the same hardware as mine.

It would be great to learn if these unmarked badges are the real deal or bogus?

Anyone else wants to comment?

Alex

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X