Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early DLV Pilots badge?

Silver bullion on silk on felt.

According to "Political and civil awardsof the third reich" Angola P.345 1st Ed. 1978, 2 metal versions are listed as "Unatributed". Has anything come to light in the past 35 years? HELP PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Originally posted by der bingle View Post
    Silver bullion on silk on felt.

According to "Political and civil awardsof the third reich" Angola P.345 1st Ed. 1978, 2 metal versions are listed as "Unatributed". Has anything come to light in the past 35 years? HELP PLEASE?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

When this badge was purchaced over 40 years ago it was listed as an NSFK honor badge?

Comment

It is an S.A. pilots badge ... not NSFK .

Comment

Originally posted by rlimike View Post
        It is an S.A. pilots badge ... not NSFK .
        Thank You. my lack of current knowledge is attributed to an acumulation of cobwebs and inactivity....thanks again, you are very kind and giving of your knowledge.......and a big plus for me! your the .....respectfully yours.Carl Lee

Comment

Originally posted by der bingle View Post
          When this badge was purchaced over 40 years ago it was listed as an NSFK honor badge?
          Thanks to RLIMIKE and the SS SA flying badge thread this cloth version has been properly identified. thanks to all...Carl and Erich Lee

Comment

I'm not sure that's actually the case-I think I've seen a period line drawing of this badge, but can't recall ever seeing any period qualifications or requirements for wearing it. The few photos of SA fliers I've seen are wearing either their Imperial flight badges or the SA/SS wing insignia. I'd welcome any period information tying this badge to the SA.
            Erich
            Festina lente!

Comment

It is not an SA pilots badge, as such a badge - which is a wing - had to be worn above the left pocket, according "Dienstvorschrift für die SA" from 1932, page 47 (and further mentioned in issue 2, also from 1932, page 146). This wing was granted by the Oberste SA-Führung. The shown badge would not fit at all in that position.
              The backing is greyish, which is neither a color for the SA, but merely for the DLV and also for the later NSFK.
              If it is a speciality badge for the 1st NSFK, which existed between November 30, 1931 and 1933 when all the activities went to the Deutscher Luftsport-Verband is not known. It is not mentioned anyway! With the SA uniform the men from flying units did wear the propellor upon the right collar patch and for a short while this symbol upon their belt-buckle.

It is neither a sort of (traditional) SA/SS emblem, as this was round and had the runes combined with the SA-symbol and was to be worn upon the upper arm. This had a grey backing as it was in fact worn with the DLV uniform (see "Military Advisor", nr. 2 from spring 1995), where an article about this badge is included, written by me!
              Last edited by wilhelm Saris; 10-08-2012, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wilhelm Saris View Post
                It is not an SA pilots badge, as such a badge - which is a wing - had to be worn above the left pocket, according "Dienstvorschrift für die SA" from 1932, page 47 (and further mentioned in issue 2, also from 1932, page 146). This wing was granted by the Oberste SA-Führung. The shown badge would not fit at all in that position.
                The backing is greyish, which is neither a color for the SA, but merely for the DLV and also for the later NSFK.
                If it is a speciality badge for the 1st NSFK, which existed between November 30, 1931 and 1933 when all the activities went to the Deutscher Luftsport-Verband is not known. It is not mentioned anyway! With the SA uniform the men from flying units did wear the propellor upon the right collar patch and for a short while this symbol upon their belt-buckle.

It is neither a sort of (traditional) SA/SS emblem, as this was round and had the runes combined with the SA-symbol and was to be worn upon the upper arm. This had a grey backing as it was in fact worn with the DLV uniform (see "Military Advisor", nr. 2 from spring 1995), where an article about this badge is included, written by me!
                Thanks Mr.Saris .

Comment

Thanks Wim--you've confirmed my thoughts on this.
                  Erich
                  Festina lente!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X