3rd Reich Kepi vs. SS Totenkopfring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3rd Reich Kepi vs. SS Totenkopfring

The recent purchase of an SA Kepi has sent my spidey-senses into a non-stop hyper-active tingling frenzy - so here goes.......Based on how many are known to exist in collections, which item is rarer, a 3rd REICH KEPI, or an SS TOTENKOPFRING ??? The first inclination would likely be to say it is the totenkopfring that is rarer. I'm not so sure. Opinions?

Both not desirable items, sell them to me
    depends on the type of kepi I would say and also the rings condition etc.

Comment

Kepis are rarer.

Comment

Apples and oranges

Comment

If you mean an SS Kepi, the SS kepi is far more rare than the Ring.

As far as SA kepis are concerned, rarity is based on rank and condition.
          Minty EM kepis are rare--most are crushed or moth-eaten. Minty officer ranks even rarer.
          NEC SOLI CEDIT

Comment

While I agree with Erich that comparing SA Kepis and SS Rings is indeed "apples and oranges," I think one can get a sense of the rarity of each item by visiting several TR dealers' websites. As background, I would assume that there were millions of SA Kepis of all ranks and issue styles originally produced, while SS Rings were probably awarded in the thousands, at best. Also given that moth and rust eventually overcome all things, amounts of both kepis and rings have been destroyed or lost to history over the past 66+ years since the TR ceased to exist. When visiting TR dealers, it is my impression that one may find several SA Kepis in reasonable condition offered for sale, mostly in the high hundreds of dollars or, for late design officers' headdress, the low thousands; but comparatively few dealers will be offering at least one SS Ring, and even considering the condition of wear, that ring will be offered at several thousand dollars. Of course, this is just my impression...!

Br. James

Comment

off topic here.. but i've often wondered why i have never seen a early SA armband with the white stripes for sale at any dealer.. or even in a personal collection.

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                While I agree with Erich that comparing SA Kepis and SS Rings is indeed "apples and oranges," I think one can get a sense of the rarity of each item by visiting several TR dealers' websites. As background, I would assume that there were millions of SA Kepis of all ranks and issue styles originally produced, while SS Rings were probably awarded in the thousands, at best. Also given that moth and rust eventually overcome all things, amounts of both kepis and rings have been destroyed or lost to history over the past 66+ years since the TR ceased to exist. When visiting TR dealers, it is my impression that one may find several SA Kepis in reasonable condition offered for sale, mostly in the high hundreds of dollars or, for late design officers' headdress, the low thousands; but comparatively few dealers will be offering at least one SS Ring, and even considering the condition of wear, that ring will be offered at several thousand dollars. Of course, this is just my impression...!

Br. James
                Agreed.

I'm not sure I fully understand the original question. I din't think it related to SA kepis ...

Chris.

Comment

Dear Chris,

I hope I haven't misunderstood the original question! Here is how sgstandard phrased it:

"The recent purchase of an SA Kepi has sent my spidey-senses into a non-stop hyper-active tingling frenzy - so here goes.......Based on how many are known to exist in collections, which item is rarer, a 3rd REICH KEPI, or an SS TOTENKOPFRING ??? The first inclination would likely be to say it is the totenkopfring that is rarer. I'm not so sure. Opinions?"

Since he opened with mention of his purchase of an SA Kepi, I thought that was the basis for his question. Truly, there were also NSKK Kepis, SS Kepis and Political Kepis -- all of which are probably rarer than the SA Kepi, with the SS Kepi as the most rare -- but I thought he was comparing the SA Kepi with the SS Ring...?

Br. James

Comment

Dear Jerry C,

In my experience, you're right: I don't think I've ever seen more than one or two of those early striped SA brassards being offered by any dealer in several decades...but others may have seen them??

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Br. James View Post
                      Dear Chris,

I hope I haven't misunderstood the original question! Here is how sgstandard phrased it:

"The recent purchase of an SA Kepi has sent my spidey-senses into a non-stop hyper-active tingling frenzy - so here goes.......Based on how many are known to exist in collections, which item is rarer, a 3rd REICH KEPI, or an SS TOTENKOPFRING ??? The first inclination would likely be to say it is the totenkopfring that is rarer. I'm not so sure. Opinions?"

Since he opened with mention of his purchase of an SA Kepi, I thought that was the basis for his question. Truly, there were also NSKK Kepis, SS Kepis and Political Kepis -- all of which are probably rarer than the SA Kepi, with the SS Kepi as the most rare -- but I thought he was comparing the SA Kepi with the SS Ring...?

Br. James
                      Hello.

I agree with the confusion, and your rationale about SA kepis is absolutely right!

If you look at Ulrich of England for instance, he has a couple of overpriced Kepis and some that are shown as sold for a while.

A lot of sites have one or one shown as sold.

I rarely see the ring and if you ever read about the rings on the SS section then it is an absolute mine field, more so than other areas of our collecting areas in my opinion.

For me, the SA kepi is more common and a more attractive, cheaper aquistion than a Totenkopf ring.

Best regards,
                      Chris.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                      X