Unnumbered 2nd Pattern Blood Orders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unnumbered 2nd Pattern Blood Orders

In my 40+yrs of collecting I have never seen an unnumbered 1st pattern Blood Order and I know that a few existed to VIPs though. Thies has an unnumbered 2nd pattern attributed to Schaub up for auction. Having seen a handful of unnumbered 2nd patterns, this leads me to believe that when extra medals were ordered by recipients for different uniforms etc. they were the unnumbered 2nd pattern medals. Any thoughts?

I can see extra ribbons to sew on different tunic pockets, but multiple blank examples provided on request? Period documentation exists substantiating multiple orders of GPBs. Have anyone seen documentation of a request for replacement or extra Blood Orders?

Comment

No.

Comment

Joe, no documentation as such, but I remember the uniform of Hermann Fobke years ago at a show that had an unnumbered 2nd pattern BO attached. Bill Dienna once owned his cased numbered example and GPB pictured in Niemann's book on decorations. I think it's very possible that VIPs could have ordered additional copies.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
          Joe, no documentation as such, but I remember the uniform of Hermann Fobke years ago at a show that had an unnumbered 2nd pattern BO attached. Bill Dienna once owned his cased numbered example and GPB pictured in Niemann's book on decorations. I think it's very possible that VIPs could have ordered additional copies.
          My guess is the same can be said regarding the 2nd issue of the Coburg badge even though I have not seen any documentation on replacement badges.

Comment

I have seen no documentation in regards to requesting replacement medals.
            My feeling is that only one medal was issued and unless you were 'connected' or really important in the scheme of things thats all you got. The Blood order was certainly not like the GPB in terms of a recipient getting multiple pins and virtually re ordering more when he so desired. This we know in regards to the GPB through period documentation that has surfaced through pins being researched and also through direct family buys that have included in some cases 5 or 6 pins with the same issue number.
            I have been lucky enough to buy several Blood order groups direct and indirect from familes and never seen more than one medal in the group.
            Yes in my opinion thats why the medal was supplied with twice as much ribbon as required as it was intended to be sewn on to pocket flaps rather than have 2 or 3 medals for different uniforms.

I also agree/feel that there was no surplace of 1st pattern medals after the intitial strike of them and yes perhaps the unumbered second patterns that surface were spare medals for special cases if and when required.It would be really interesting to stumble upon a request for a replacement Blood order, maybe we will in time

I have never seen an unumbered 1st pattern Blood order ,the only variances I have observed being the hand engraved number of the medal belonging to Sepp Dietrich and although I have not seen it apparently Hitlers.
            One other point of note is that apparently[and I say this as I am going by hearsay] Emil Ketterer had two #6 medals
            one sold recently by Ulrich but Craig Gottlieb claims to have sold another to a US collector that still owns the medal,also marked number 6. So this would back up the notion that if you were connected you could manage to swing a spare medal. There might well be something in Ketterers file that would answer this.

Comment

Jon, I agree that the possible issue of a 2nd BO was not wide spread but rather possibly being a perk of the well connected. We know that many regulations were not followed to the letter during the TR!

Comment

I would agree that it makes sense that only 1 BO was presented to an individual barring any special favors they might receive due to rank or importance. Otherwise I think we'd find more mint numbered examples and more worn unnumbered pieces. I've seen a few unnumbered type 2's over the years but I don't recall seeing a type 1 unmarked.
                Erich
                Festina lente!

Comment

Could some of these BO been made after the war?

Comment

Originally posted by TrondK View Post
                    Could some of these BO been made after the war?
                    I very highly doubt it. The post war BOs are very easy to spot for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by ErichS View Post
                      In my 40+yrs of collecting I have never seen an unnumbered 1st pattern Blood Order and I know that a few existed to VIPs though. Thies has an unnumbered 2nd pattern attributed to Schaub up for auction. Having seen a handful of unnumbered 2nd patterns, this leads me to believe that when extra medals were ordered by recipients for different uniforms etc. they were the unnumbered 2nd pattern medals. Any thoughts?
                      Hermann Göring's Blood Order, I believe.

Bob Hritz
                      Attached Files
                      In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

Just when you think you have seen it all...........

Bang on the money Bob, is this in your collection /provenance? Does it still retain the distinctive Austrian style ribbon set up he wore?
                        Thanks for posting,its the first unumbered 1st pattern I have ever seen.

Comment

Never say never and thanks for posting it Bob!

Comment

Please tell more about this one????

INTERESTING!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                            X