Correct material for armbands?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct material for armbands?

Can anyone tell me what the correct material is for original armbands? I have seen repos in cotton, felt, and wool.
    Also, how were the original armbands attached? Was there any elastic sewn to them or were they pinned to the uniform?

Thanks in advance,
    Dep

There were literally hundreds of different armbands in use during the Third Reich, in a wide variety of materials, including cotton, wool, and rayon, and probably linen as well. Some were sewn to the uniform, some were not. They were made in multiple pieces stitched together, or woven, or embroidered, or printed, or had metal insignia applied, or a combination of these. They could be mass produced in a factory or handmade on a home sewing machine. If you do a search here for "armband" you will find photos of a great many original period armbands.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
      There were literally hundreds of different armbands in use during the Third Reich, in a wide variety of materials, including cotton, wool, and rayon, and probably linen as well. Some were sewn to the uniform, some were not. They were made in multiple pieces stitched together, or woven, or embroidered, or printed, or had metal insignia applied, or a combination of these. They could be mass produced in a factory or handmade on a home sewing machine. If you do a search here for "armband" you will find photos of a great many original period armbands.
      So there is no one "correct" material for armbands is what you are saying. I assume synthetics like polyester would be the one incorrect material.

Comment

Rayon is an artificial material. For most types of armbands there are typical materials and then materials that are not typical. Armbands are vastly faked and buying atypical armbands is risky unless you know what you are doing. It is far safer to stick with "textbook" examples. Material is of course not the sole arbiter of authenticity with an armband as many fakes are made from old materials which are still widely available.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Pittman View Post
          Rayon is an artificial material. For most types of armbands there are typical materials and then materials that are not typical. Armbands are vastly faked and buying atypical armbands is risky unless you know what you are doing. It is far safer to stick with "textbook" examples. Material is of course not the sole arbiter of authenticity with an armband as many fakes are made from old materials which are still widely available.
          I would be buying a repo so fake and risk is no problem. I just wanted to make sure I got one made out of the same material as the originals.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,722 at 03:33 AM on Today.

Working...
          X