AH Flatware Collecting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AH Flatware Collecting

Maybe it's been discussed before however it will make for an interesting topic.

We know that formal serving pieces are a lot less common and their for I guess more interesting/collectable
    What about the standard formal knifes, folks, spoons.
    Which of the types below do our members prefer..? is their any preference to the Luncheon knife or folk etc or larger dinner ones?

Luncheon Knife, Folk, Spoon

Large Dinner Knife, Folk, Spoon

Dessert, Folk, Spoon etc
    Last edited by Mons 1914; 10-11-2011, 07:31 AM.

I have a very small collection that includes a dinner knife and fork along with an ice cream spoon. I also have an AH napkin. All the siver pieces are of the formal pattern.

Comment

The so-called "informal pattern" of AH flatware has long attracted me, and that is what I have focused my collecting on for a good number of years. Today I only lack a coffee/tea spoon to complete a place setting; I have a dinner knife, dinner fork, salad fork, dessert fork, and a soup/serving spoon in that understated and elegant pattern. That being said, I have just recently seen offered what was called a "luncheon knife" in the informal pattern -- it was already sold when I saw it -- and I didn't realize that there could have been both a "luncheon" and a "dinner" service made in this pattern! Some of the pieces may be intended to be interchangeable, of course, but this "luncheon knife" was 8 1/2" long as against the dinner knife in my collection which is 10" long. As is so often said, "You learn something new each and every day!"

Br. James

Comment

Were does the salad folk rank among these pieces?

Comment

Say more; not quite sure what you mean.

Thanks,

Br. James

Comment

Originally posted by Mons 1914 View Post
            Were does the salad folk rank among these pieces?
            James, are certain examples of the formal pattern more desirable than others.

ie, the salad folk vs the dinner folk. Ice cream spoon vs fruit spoon etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mons 1914 View Post
              James, are certain examples of the formal pattern more desirable than others.

ie, the salad folk vs the dinner folk. Ice cream spoon vs fruit spoon etc.
              You may want to contact member Eric Von Rader who has a large collection of AH silver and he may have the info you seek.

Comment

Anyone else want to chime in?
                I guess all the standard dinner pieces are about the same, or maybe the dessert items rank higher?

Thanks Erich

Comment

Thanks for your response, Erich (Mons 1914),

Now I see what you mean. I have no response regarding pieces of the formal pattern since I have never collected it. But as regards the informal pattern, most of the pieces in my collection came at generally the same price each (within $150.00 or so, depending upon the prestige of the seller), regardless of the placesetting position. If this is true for the formal pattern, which is always (in my experience) more costly to buy than the informal pattern, then the type of utensil is probably irrelevent, given the rarity of both patterns.

Br. James

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X