Hess Signed Photos from Spandau Prison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hess Signed Photos from Spandau Prison

Does anyone know how many signed photos of Hess were obtained from him while he was in Spandau Prison?

Tom

I can definitely say I've seen 8 to 9 signatures from guys in my old Regiment who did guard service in 1981 at Spandau, I'd guess a fair few but like most soldiers lost or swapped them over the years, I had one which I swapped for a few items in the late 90s,Sean

Comment

How many signed photos?

Tom

Comment

As in what way? photos taken in the prison or TR period? The ones I saw were a mix of period postcard and standard back of envelope ones, the one I had was on a magazine picture of him from the Nurnberg rally, Sean

Comment

Hey Sean, you and I seem to be the only ones interested in this topic. No matter, you have very good information to add.

Wasn't it illegal to get autographs from Hess while he was in prison? In fact, didn't Col. Bird get into trouble for having him sign a photo for someone in the US Archives Department?

Tom

Comment

Yes, guards were searched in and out for contraband but not paper items such as pocket note books and orders books. I'm unsure about the US system when they did their stint.
            In my case I was in an Irish regiment and us Irish have ways and means as history shows
            A story I was told that in Hess later years he would have much joy in dropping young soldiers in the shxt by telling senior officers any mistakes the soldiers made, suppose after 40 odd years behind bars he had to find some fun somewhere, Sean

Comment

Wait, are you saying you were one of the guards at Spandau Prison, or just know that these thing occurred???

Tom

Comment

No I joined in 87, my squad corporal was, and platoon sergeant were regulars at in 81, I bought the signature off Ricky my squad corporal for 70 DM and a pack of Herforder beer

Comment

Well, Sean, after all this preliminary interesting discussion, I should get to the point. This is the photo signed by Rudolf Hess in Spandau Prison for a former US Archives employee. I was obtained by Col. Eugene Bird for him and was specifically mentioned in his book Prisoner #7: Rudolf Hess, p. 228. The markings on the reverse are in Bird's handwriting.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                  X