Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the replies so far.
    ivbaust, yours looks almost identical.

Wewelsburg, I thought the eagles had been repro'd, I am suprised at the crudity of the eagle and the badly formed lettering compared to some I've seen and assumed it was a fake that had been put on a civil leather helmet as I could find no trace of RZM labels or stamps in the helmet.

Keep the opinions coming please.
    Last edited by David H; 03-22-2011, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Most likely these helmets have been issued rather late and thus quality was inferior compared to early ones.

I´m collecting mainly edged weapons, especially SA daggers and there the quality clearly deteriorates over time. Early daggers (with maker´s logo, made from 1933 - 1935) have been manufactured in much better quality than mid SA daggers (double maker marked, logo plus RZM, 1936 - 1938). Worst in quality have been the late SA daggers (RZM marked, after 1938).

Comment

odd NSKK eagle...
        but I know only the M1/8 alu mod.
        Attached Files
        Straßburger / When in doubt do without...
        - Looking for : SS TK «Oberbayern» flatwire CT.

Comment

looks like someone painted or fixed up the first 2 helmets. looks like enamel and clearcoat..maybe over black shoepolished the neck and ear pieces..pascals looks textbook.

Comment

I went back today to have a closer look at the helmet in question in more detail (though I took my 1st pattern to compare aswell) and the helmet has indeed been played with, the actual leather liner is a replacement, the current one has been hand done with a pair of scissors so the ears of the leather are not uniform all around and there are still traces of ball point pen lines used to trace out the ears of the liner before cutting!( don't know how I missed this on first look... I guess I saw what I wanted rather than what was actually there). The inner seam looks as though it has been opened to allow the insertion of the newer liner as there are traces of clear glue in certain places used to re-seal the seam. The whole thing has most definately had a lick of gloss paint, I hate to think of what sins are below it. I also now believe the side vents are possible additions as the holes in the leather are not clear punch holes resulting in the leather wrinkling when the vents have been added... so in all a right dogs dinner!!! It seems my gut was correct. So possibly a reworked civvy helmet?? and I still think the eagle looks as rough as a badgers ass!

Thanks for all the comments

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
            X